Two: The Girl with the Apple

They all rose early whilst darkness still blanketed them to raise candles for the dead, and the able retrieved anything useful from the bodies. When the sun peeked over the horizon, the encampment was packed and ready to go. Liqin rode at the front, the imperial flag bearers behind her. She missed Jin's solid presence at her back; he currently rode at the back with the rest of the soldiers.

     The sun traveled languidly across the sky, and Liqin's legs and backside ached more and more. The hot rays beat down on the army. Sweat soaked Liqin's clothes beneath her armor, and her lips were parched. She reached to the side and drunk greedily from her water skin.

     "General." Commander Xifang approached Liqin's horse. His usually ruddy face was redder than ever from the heat. "We approach Hu'an. Perhaps another hour or so. Would you like us to stop to rest or continue forward?"

     Liqin glanced backward at her weary men. A few of the younger ones looked like they were about to slide out of their saddles. "We'll stop," she said, pulling the reins. "Please spread the word. We will rest for ten minutes and continue on our way."

     Xifang nodded and began shouting orders. Liqin slid off her steed, giving him an affectionate ruffle of the mane as she led him to a nearby tree and secured him to a low branch. After leaving a few apples for him, Liqin sat against the tree's trunk, enjoying the shade of the leaves. She munched peacefully on an apple.

     An acorn fell and hit her nose. "Jin, come down. You're so heavy, you'll snap whatever branch you're on."

     A curtain of dark locks dropped from above as Jin swung upside-down, hanging only by the backs of his knees. Liqin wrinkled her nose. "Gross, your hair is getting in the dirt."

     "Were you insinuating I'm fat, princess?"

     "Yes, I was!" she stated haughtily, tilting her chin upward. "You're acting too much like a monkey. Come down before people start making fun of you."

     "But as long as you don't think I'm a monkey, I can keep dropping acorns on you, right?"

     Liqin, frustrated, chucked the half-eaten apple at his head. It made a satisfying bonk, and startled, Jin lost his focus and crashed into the ground. Liqin picked up the apple and gave it to her horse.

     "What was that for?" Jin scowled. "I almost broke my spine. Then there wouldn't be anyone for you to tease."

     Liqin nonchalantly brushed off her hands. "Good riddance, I suppose." She stifled her laughter, but she stopped abruptly when Jin rose to his feet. To look at him, she needed to crane her head back quite a bit.

     Flames burned in his irises. "Good riddance, hm?" His voice was low and dangerous. Liqin swallowed. Since when did he get so much taller?

     "You're not as short as you used to be," she said weakly.

     "You're damn right. Now, about hitting me in the head –"

     Liqin was saved when Xifang called, "Troops, move out!" She childishly stuck out her tongue at Jin and raced to undo the ropes tying her warhorse to the tree. "Sucker. Catch you later!"

     He growled playfully but straightened and readjusted the straps of his armor. Jin disappeared into the throng of bustling soldiers. Liqin vaulted onto her saddles, gathering the reins in one hand and hooking her feet into the stirrups. There was clamorous ringing of armor as the soldiers settled.

     "To home!" Liqin bellowed and nudged the sides of her horse.

     The moment the gates of Hu'an were opened, the Kou army was met with thunderous cheering. They entered the city at a moderate pace, Liqin at the head. The roars began to crescendo, and everyone sat up a little straighter. The flagbearers proudly waved the empire colors, the red and black silk shimmering in the sunlight.