Chapter IX, Part III

In the days that followed the "cow head incident," as it would come to be known, every single student in the school had to appear before Professor Nadig to be interrogated on their knowledge of the event. Even the students who hadn't been there were questioned. For most it was the same: they didn't know anything about it beyond what they'd seen. It was, of course, very different for Allison Groves.

The message was certainly for her. She was not the only student at the school with that birthday, but Ockham's Guide had been in her dorm room. Allison was not naïve enough to believe it a coincidence.

Professor Nadig had already spoken to Miss Terwilliger. She knew that Caleb Vance had checked Ockham's Guide out, and Allison didn't really mind giving her a few more details. Professor Nadig was a kind, if exasperated, woman who, though she handled most disciplinary matters, was never overly harsh. If a student was in trouble, it was to her office they wished to be called; students dreaded the prospect of seeing Headmistress Lea. Allison told Professor Nadig that Ockham's Guide had been in her dormitory that night, that she had been reading from it as well as Caleb. She had not yet told her why.

"You know you have to be careful, Miss Groves," Professor Nadig said sternly. "Miss Terwilliger does not censor her book collection—and I, in fact, very much agree with her on her convictions—but you still must be careful. These are not topics to be discussed lightly."

"I understand, Professor Nadig," Allison said.

"And you don't, I suppose, have any idea who might have done this?" Professor Nadig asked. "It seems someone was trying to send you a message, Miss Groves, though I can't possibly imagine why anyone would do this."

Allison shook her head slowly. "No, not exactly. But...well, it was Ockham's Guide that was left out. So maybe—"

Professor Nadig held up a hand. "Let's let Headmistress Lea worry about that, all right, Miss Groves?"

Her voice was not harsh or unkind, but it was convicted. Allison looked at her a bit sadly, and then voiced her agreement.

"It's not what you think," Professor Nadig said. "I promise you, it's not what you think. Those kind of things...the things they talk about it books like Ockham's Guide...they don't exist anymore. You don't have anything to worry about."

Allison nodded but said nothing.

"Yes. All right. Well, Miss Groves, on your word you don't know anything more about this?" Professor Nadig asked.

"Yes, ma'am."

Professor Nadig sighed heavily and nodded. She muttered something under her breath that Allison didn't quite catch. She looked thoughtfully past Allison, her hands folded primly in front of her. Finally, she nodded once again.

"All right, you may go," Professor Nadig said. "I may need to speak with you another time, however."

"Yes, ma'am," Allison repeated. She stood and left the room.

So Professor Nadig knew. Headmistress Lea, too. They knew a monster was roaming the town of Clearwater, but they didn't want anyone else to know. They didn't want to talk about it. Probably couldn't talk about it. Nothing new there. The bottom line was that she'd get no help from them. Whatever she was going to do—whatever she, Shannon, and Caleb were going to do, they would have to do alone.

Caleb and Shannon were waiting for her when she came out. It was their free period and they'd both already been in to see Professor Nadig. They looked at her with poorly hidden anxiety.