Excerpt III

August 15, 1955

It's going to be tonight. I have a terrible feeling it's going to be tonight. I can't have much longer, after all.

I'm scared. Oh, that sounds so ridiculous, doesn't it? Of course I'm scared. I am going to die. That's all there is to it: Tonight I am going to die. And allow me to say something else ridiculous: I don't want to. But I saw that thing again...the white creature. I'm sure it's after me.

I don't think there's anything I can do. I waited too long. I should've told someone. But then, who was there to tell? Who was there to trust?

...who was there whom it wouldn't kill to know what I know?

I hope I'm doing the right thing. If there is a right thing to be done. It's too late now to change anything anyway. Maybe this won't change anything. I guess I'll never know.

If anyone ever sees this diary, please know that I'm sorry. I didn't mean for anyone to get hurt. And who knows? Maybe no one will. No one besides me, anyway. But I don't see how that can happen. I'm just...I'm so sorry. I did the best I could. I didn't know—I didn't understand. I didn't realize what I was going into...

I hope I can convince Jackie to help me...but I don't know. He won't understand, I know he won't, and he can't. If he finds out, he'll get hurt. But I don't know what else to do, who else to turn to.

Oh, I'm sorry Jackie, I didn't want to do this to you. If there was any other way...I'm sorry, Jackie. I don't know if you'll ever see this, but I mean it. I'm so sorry. Please, please don't hate me.

But perhaps I flatter myself to think that anyone will ever find this. I don't know what I'm doing, after all. I've probably made a mistake. Well, at least if I'm going to go out, I'm going to go out with a fight.

But is it too ridiculous to think that I might be spared? To think that someone might save me? Someone might know, someone might do something before it's too late?

...before it's too late. Huh. I suppose it's already too late. If I really wanted to be saved, I would have stayed away. But I couldn't do that. Not when I knew something bad was happening. Not when I know something bad is happening. And when I know what is coming.

All I can say is this: Shannon, if you do ever find this, I hope you know what to do.

Sarah Harriet Benadine

Age 16

***Well, folks, that's a wrap. It's been over a year, but it's all out there. I have a lot to say now, so please bear with me.

First of all, I'd like to thank everyone who read to the end. Whether you commented, voted, or were just a silent reader, I really, really appreciate you taking the time to read this. When I first posted, I wasn't even sure I'd hit a hundred reads, let alone 12k+. And almost a thousand votes! Thank you, thank you, thank you! And of course I'd like to thank those who did take the time to vote and/or comment, it really means a lot to me.

Now secondly, I'd like to ask a little favor. If you could spare the time to give me a little feedback on the ending, I'd really appreciate it. I know there is still a fair amount of things that I left up in the air. There are still questions without answers. If you choose to, please be honest with me. Knowing there's going to be a sequel, are you okay with the loose ends, or do they make you want to kill me? Obviously, I don't want everything to be all neat and tidy going into the next book, but do you think I left too much open, or not? If you could take a moment to let me know, I'd greatly appreciate it, but don't feel obligated.

Also, as far as the sequel goes...I don't know when I will start posting. It's nowhere near done right now and I am an unbelievably slow writer. I'm hoping to maybe post a preview or something at some point, I'll just try to keep you all posted.

But anyway, thank you so, so, so much for taking a little journey into this world with me. I had a lot of fun writing it (and a lot of agonizing writer's block lol) and I hope you enjoyed it. I hope I'll see some of you in the next one :)***