Chapter Six : Farah Umair

Read, vote, comment and enjoy :)

Dedicated to @AK3456 for being a great friend and supporter.

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Chapter Six

Farah Umair

I flopped down on my bed, and stared at the huge assortment of clothes spread over it. My, my, what a tough job it is to get ready for us girls. I mean, sometimes I imagine what boys have to do while getting ready to go somewhere. All they do is pull a shirt and a pair of jeans, make their hair either stand up like they’ve been hit by an electric shock, or sit down like a neat and clean mummy-daddy boy would do, and lo and behold, they are ready!

But how complicated it is for us. We have to make sure of everything, even the tiniest of the tiniest details. Will the trouser suit me? Will I look too fat in this frock? Do I have a matching sandal with this dress? Is there a suitable purse for me to carry along? What about my headscarf, I will need a red one, but I have only one in red color but that is a blood-red color, and it won’t look good with this skirt and shirt! Will I look good in a pair of jeans and some shirt? But then, do I have matching sneakers to go with it? Oh, I’m forgetting the accessories! I think I’ll wear a bracelet. But which one? Will it look a bit classic? Hmm, if I wear jeans, I could do with a wrist band may be. But what shall I do for a top? May be I should wear some traditional type of dress! Hmm, Arabic gown would do.

See what I mean? Urgh! I sometimes envy boys. Visualize how life would be if I were a boy. So different! But then, there won’t be any fun in being a boy I guess. For one thing, I won’t be able to fan girl over other boys. So yeah, I’m happy as a girl.

Back to my dressing. What to wear today? Wait, I’m sure Aafreen will wear some Pakistani dress, why not me too? We could look sisters then, okay, not exactly sisters, but really close friends. Yeah, maybe that will do.

I smiled in relief. Yes, a Pakistani dress will look great on me! I will even look like one, may be. Rummaging through the heap of clothes, I pulled out navy-blue trousers and then began the search for its shirt. Finally after two minutes, I pulled out the long embroidered shirt to go with the trousers from my cupboard and selected a blue headscarf to go with it. Then I glanced at the wall clock, and almost let out a scream! It is four ten, and I still need to get dressed, and …Oh God I have to hurry!

“Mariam! Hey Mariam! Here, come here quick now, please!” I called out to my elder sister who was busy in the kitchen.

“What is it Farah? Why are you --” she stopped dead at the door of the bedroom. “What have you done to this place?” she asked staring at the pile of clothes, which by now had stretched to the floor, and my open over-flowing cupboard, and the up side down drawers.

“Oh that’s nothing,” I said dismissively with a wave of my hand and walking over to her, stuffed the clothes in her hands. “Listen, iron them for me please, will you? I’ll just take out my shoes and some accessories. Where’s the blue bracelet that Ayesha gave me last time she came?” I asked her and started rummaging in the drawers once again.

She didn’t speak, but stood there, glaring at me as if she’d just swallowed a bunch of sour grapes. “What?” I asked innocently. Then looking at the clock, I exclaimed as loudly as I could. “Oh blimey, Mariam! There’s no time left. Be quick now please. Please please please,” I begged her with a puppy dog expression on my face.

She raised both her eye brows at me. Yeah, that’s one thing I can always tease her about. You see, she can raise either both eye-brows together, or raise neither of them. But I on the other hand, I can raise either both, or I can also raise my right eye brow only while keeping my left eye-brow in its place. And it’s so much fun to see her try raising only one of them, but in vain.