Songfic: Orange Genome

(I WAS REREADING THE BEGINNING OF RED QUEEN AND MAVEN REFERS TO MARE AS "HIS BRIDE" AND I WAS LIKE WOAH WHAT THE FUCK OKAY LMAO

DOES RED QUEEN HAVE CARRIAGES/???>???>>L:":>>?"?."

IDK IF THIS COUNTS AS NOT A GOOD ENDING OR NOT BC NOBODY DIES BUT??? IDK IT'S NOT THE SADDEST THING I'VE WRITTEN BUT BE WARNED ANYWAYS.)

Stood proud and tall and watched my dreams as they'd flown

You looked like a soldier during the Queenstrial, lifting the water out of the fountains and letting it drip over you as you make the water form into swords and daggers that cannot pierce. You were having fun, something you hate to admit. Your high expectations for yourself seeped through as you put the water back, bowing before walking off. Your pace is like a gazelle, so delicate and sweet. Leave it to Evangeline to pounce on you, knocking into your shoulder with hers as she passes you up. It's her way of saying that she let the competition get between the two of you, how with her succession, she doesn't want to be your aquintace anymore. She will side with the crown, not your heart. You didn't expect her to say sorry, so she didn't, and went onto her platform to perform

Even though, it is clear that I can walk home all alone

You knew you were going to perform to best, you knew how easy it was to wow your elders. You knew you weren't going to win, especially since the long-lost daughter of a Titanos was found. Sure, it was unfair on the behalf of the contestants. But imagine thinking you are a red then finding out you are not only a silver but a princess nonetheless. And then, Evangeline won for the eldest Calore brother. Everybody knew that already. You did, at least. 

You understood the low chances of you winning, you keep telling yourself. Why do you still feel a sense of loss? The tingle of melancholy accessing you, at most. 

What now? The words echo in your head. 

Guess in the end when it's just me, I get tense

After running laps in training you stand back as the teenagers converse with each other. You can see Evangeline with Cal, talking to him like they weren't to get married. It makes your fist clench until you realize how numb your knuckles get. 

How much?

How much do you hate?

Never, you turn your head away from the couple. You see Maven and Mareena standing near each other, Maven whispering to her. Assuring her, you guess. She is new to the art of training, after all.

"(Y/N)," Instructor Arven calls.

Your head twists in his direction as you step in the center of the floor. This has always been your favorite part of training. Even in your home, training with other houses had always been your specialty. You have never lost. And you don't plan to start today. Excitement laces into your gaze as Instructor Arven searches through the crowd, looking for the perfect match to the little champion.

"Prince Maven, if you please."

It's not fair to compare us

Maven nods, taking his place by your side. You remember constantly play fighting with him when you were younger. Everybody would always put you by him, the typical water and fire roulette. You have always won, you wonder now that you're older, has he finally overcome you?

You can feel his heat from where you stand. You think if he can feel how cold you are. Your shoulders calm as Provos uses his telkie ability to shift the structure around you, twisting walls and making space. Making an arena.