One Shot: Dinner with Mareena

(not as harsh as it sounds

"You glance at her with a pressed grin." That line is meantt to be like a "LOOK AT THIS DOOOOD" thing.)

Maven bites his lips, looking at his bride. Her long brown hair is tied up in the tight way of Silver etiquette. His heart turns at the sight of the Red in disguise. Somebody he should hate. Somebody, he feels like he should appreciate.

He turns his gaze from her as his eyes fall on the one he loves. With the colors of icy blue showing off their House Gliacon talents. He smiles as you make eye contact with him. Your cheeks lighten with the Silver equivalent of a blush as you return a smile. 

"Is the one you were going to pick here?" Mare once asked him. He wanted to say yes, wanted to point you out in the crowd of ladies waiting to win. 

But he couldn't risk anybody knowing. 

Now, he almost feels differently.

You smirk to Maven, sitting across the table from him as you both eat with your families. He has Mareena by his side, but her mind is preoccupied. Maven keeps his eyes on yours, trying to memorize the details of your eyes. His heart accelerates when your face blushes a tone of white.

Elara glances at you before your face completely steals her interest.

Her eyes lips mimic a ghostly smirk, trying not to pay attention to the mischief of her young son. She goes through his head occasionally, enjoying the small doses of happiness you gift him. She knows one day she will rip you from him. She knows that Maven will learn to grow without you in his life. 

She made sure Maven knew this.

Evangeline crosses her legs, resting her chin on the back of her hand, smiling as she looks at you. She remembers when you first met Maven, later that day returning home and telling her all about it. You were so excited, eyes bright as you rambled on. 

Ptolemus notices Evangeline looking at you and follows her gaze, smirking to himself as he sits his own taste of wine. He never fails to take notice of the sparkle in your eye whenever you look at Maven. He feels likes an older sibling to you, he feels like you are a small creature he should protect from a monster like Maven. 

Elara, Evangeline and Ptolemus smile when Mareena glances at you, and you turn your attention away from her fiance. Maven still finds himself gazing into your face. It's almost a message to Mareena, who stares at him. This one is mine, he wants to tell her. 

"Well, Mareena," you smile, "You seem so pleasant. How can a maiden like you espouse the Prince Maven?"

Her shoulders stiffen but she plays a hard smile. Elara leans forward, stopping herself from saving Mareena in this circumstance. She knows you and her son enough to know you more than likely have already been told the answer to the equation. 

"Only pure chance, starting as a servant happened to bring me to my full potential." 

You tilt your head, leaning into your chair with a smirk. You bow your head, almost a way of showing your appreciation of her clear lie. Maven's eyebrow twitched.

"Good timing, I'd reckon."

"Absolutely."

Evangeline giggles into her glass before sipping her beverage. You glance at her with a pressed grin. 

"Well then," Maven interrupted you before you could open your mouth again. His fingers grew white with wrath as he clenched his chair. He sat up, putting his fingers to his lips almost in a way to stop himself from continuing. He just stared at you, mind filled with corrections and curses. As much as he wanted to tell you off for picking on Mare, he simply took in a deep breath to calm himself.

One day, he's going to have to choose. He knows this. His mother reminds him every day. Every time he looks into your eyes. One day, she reckons. 

He feels like a maniac when his gaze softens at your soft smile. The tip of your toes bump into his in a playful manner. He puts his hand over his face, trying to hide his returning smile.

He knows who he's going to choose.