Book II Chapter 07

TREE OF LIFE BOOK II

CHAPTER 07

“Do I have to spell out absolutely every last little detail to you?” Brian was spitting at Wilson again.

They were marching across the landing and on their way back to the main compound.

Brian had checked the lab and all the personnel in it again. He radioed back to the main compound and had them do the same thing over there. Everyone checked out. Everyone was accounted for. Everyone who was supposed to be there was there and everyone who was not, was not. Yet somehow, Nicole and her rescuer had vanished into thin air and were nowhere to be found.

It took Brian a few minutes, but now he was certain he had figured it out and was explaining it to Wilson as they continued their march back to the main camp.

Wilson was shaking his head. “Sir…”

“Look,” said Brian, “it’s like this. Julian was already in the compound when I brought Nicole and put her in the lab. He was dressed as a guard with his mask on.”

“But if you knew, why didn’t we just nab…?”

“Just listen! Around then, the old man came to the outer wall but that was just a distraction. When Carter came to get us and we left, that’s when Julian sneaked in and took out all eight guards who were stationed around the lab. He then went in, got Nicole dressed as a guard and posed her and himself among the unconscious ones lying on the floor.”

The two had come up to the main compound area. They began making their way toward the master pavilion, leaving the walkway in the side of the cliff behind.

“No, that’s not right,” said Wilson. “I checked! I lifted the masks on all eight of the men and none of them was him.”

“No, you didn’t. Not all eight of them. At least not at first.”

“Well, I guess you’re right.” Wilson scratched his head. “I only lifted one of the masks…and then we went outside for a second—but that was only for a second!”

“That was all the time he needed.”

“So, you’re saying that in that split second while we were out, he took out another two men with their masks on, laid them down on the floor, and then posed as them, standing off to one side, when we went in the second time?”

“And that’s when we unmasked all eight of the men on the floor.”

Wilson shook his head. “But there were people all around…”

“That’s right. People who looked like everybody else. It was the perfect cover.”

“Wow, that’s some complicated thinking.”

“And just about what I figured he would do…”

Wilson stopped walking. “You mean you saw it coming?”

Brian stopped too and faced Wilson. “Of course. Well, maybe not to the last detail, but I knew he would figure out a way to rescue her, somehow, no matter how well we guarded her. In fact, I was counting on it.”

“You mean, you let the woman go on purpose?”

“How many times do I have to tell you? It’s not her I’m after. It’s not even Julian! It’s what he can lead me to…” Brian shook his head and began walking off again. “…jerk for brains…”

Wilson stood where he was, frowning. “Sir?”

Brian stopped and turned back to him. He tossed his hands in the air. “Haven’t you ever played chess?”