Chapter 25 : Basketball Head

Biology with Toni after lunch was fun, we talked about basic RNA DNA review, simple stuff.

Fourth period was when I got nervous. I walked into the empty change room and gulped, looking at myself in the broken mirror. I waited for about five minutes before heading out, I couldn't change because I had nothing to change into.

As I walk into the gym my breath gets caught in my throat in fear. I see the 2 back up creeps from this morning, 5 more muscular guys with the same style, Fangs who I recognize from the bar and abut 7 other normal-ish people.

The teacher looks at me with a rather dirty look. "Home-ec is down the hall." He points to the door.

A couple of boys snicker and I stand, frozen in place. The teacher looks at me annoyed. "Can I help you?"

I hand him my time table and he sighs. "Well you're not supposed to be here, it's a boys gym class. Since you don't have anywhere else to go for now sit." He points to a bench. I nod and walk over, shaking a little bit. "I'll be talking to guidance about this." He mumbles to himself and gathers the boys for stretches and warm up.

Every time I looked up I noticed some creeps staring at me like I'm a piece of candy.

After warm ups the teacher separates into 2 teams and they decide on basketball.

All was going well, they were playing a little rough but nothing new coming from the south side. I hear my name being called and as I look up I get hit in the face extremely with something that I'm assuming is a basketball. I don't remember what happened next, I heard my name being said and some boys laughing. I saw the teacher on the phone as I slipped in and out of blackness. I felt my nose bleeding and the last thing I saw was Fangs punching one of the creeps.

When I wake up I instantly recognize the smell, the hospital. I groan and sit up, why would I be brought to the hospital, I got hit with a basketball, not shanked with a spork laced with cyanide.

I sit up and feel a hand on my leg. I look over to the owner to see Jughead. He has an emotionless face and he stares at me.

I look over to the other side of me to see Jo who is smiling. "Y/N..." She smiles petting my hair.

"Why-" I get caught up in my words with a dry mouth. "Why am I here?" I finish after clearing my throat.

"You got hit." Jug states plainly.

"I know but why the hospital?" I stare at Jo.

She smiles a little bit. "They wanted to make sure you didn't have a concussion and you were out for almost 10 minutes, they needed to make sure you were okay." 

I nod and grab my head in pain.

"Y/N?" Jo looks at me with concern.

"I'm fine, nothing I can't handle." And little do they know it's true, for a couple of years after my dad got arrested my mom dated this guy named Richard who just loved to beat people up, my mom laughed as it happened and I took the beatings so my mom wouldn't get hurt. He left after a while because my mom wouldn't put out as much, she got really deep into her addiction after that.

I look over to Jug who's looking at me puzzled, like he's trying to solve a mystery. I look away from his tender arctic eyes and Jo hugs me.

"I'll go get the nurse so we can get you out of here." Jo gets up and leaves the room. 

It's quiet until I look at Jughead who hasn't stopped staring at me. "Why are you here?"

He shrugs "you're a friend, you got hurt. I had nothing to do."