[10] Shield Me From Sorrow

Carmen was driving back the way she came That boys death had been eating at her, death in general was a hard thing for her to grasp. It seemed where ever she went there was death. When she met John he told her that she could be free from her sins, she could wash away her past and be welcomed into their family. Those years were the best of her life, she finally felt welcomed and accepted.

Her Confession was one of the easier ones John had done, she explained everything about her past to him. She was one of the first to join the cult, she was wondering throughout a small town when she ran into Joseph, he was preaching besides a old school bus and something drew her in, once she started listening she couldn't stop.

Joseph's voice captivated her. She never got along with the siblings other than Joseph, her and John had an understanding but Jacob and Faith always had bad feelings about her. They made it to Hope County and. Carmen was offered a job as being a recruiter, and she was very good at that job, she had recruited a large amount of their convent. Once things in Hope County started to escalate she became a very loyal soldier. She was given missions and she never failed them

She was remembering the first time she had killed in the name of the Father. She was told to cut the brake lines on some ranchers truck, she did it, not questioning why. She never felt the same after that day. Death again found it's a way back to her, always creeping up when she least expect it.

The boys eyes kept flashing back in her head, she didn't want to kill him, but she had to shoot,

'You are strong, carmen' she kept telling herself

Static went over the radio pulling her from her thoughts

"Carmen, we need you up at the bunker, our latest sinner has confessed and needs to be taken to Jacobs, I'm tasking you with his delivery" John's voice came through, sounding clam and collected "don't fail this"

She pulled the radio over and held it close to her mouth she replied that she was on her way.

_____________________________________________

John and Hope had just pulled into the bunker, Hope had reached into the back and grabbed her bag fingering through the contents she found the glasses, they were a neon green shade she said them onto her ears and instant relief

"You wear those well dear" John leaned forward and ajusted the glasses, Hopes cheeks turned rose colored. John never called her by a pet name before.

John guided her into the bunker. Before they walked down the stairs John pulled her to the side.

"Look, I have a reputation to keep here, I don't think we should be open about our.. relationship yet. You're not going to like what you're about to see Hope, Im not the same man to you as the man I am to others, you're about to see that. " Hope could see the worry in John's eyes, he didn't want to scare her away.

"I've heard the stories. I want to this for myself, as for our relationship, I'll keep it a secret you don't need to worry." She gabbed his hand and squeezed "I'll accept you for who you are"
John closed his eyes and took a deep breath, and just like that. He changed, his posture, he eyes, just like a changing of the guard.

"Well? Come on." John started down the stairs, gesturing for her to follow.

They reached the bottom and found Joseph waiting for them.

"Brother, it's good to see you, and Hope" he walked over grabbing Hopes hand into his,
"Is she going to be witnessing the session?"

"Yes, I figured since you already completed the Confession, it would be fine for a extra person present for the marking"

"Ah, of course, just remember, you have to love them John, don't let your sin prevent that" he put his hand on the back of John's head leaning in for a hug "Maxwell is important for the success of this project, his sin is obviously greed, you will do well to make sure this goes quick and easily hes been through enough as is"

"Yes Joseph"

"And Hope, I will be having your baptism tonight" she nodded and a thin smile shown through. "I'll be back down in a moment to check on him John"
Joseph silently waved goodbye and headed up the stairs

John lead them down a long hallway, pushing through the doors dramatically,
He gestured for Hope to head into the corner and wait

"Ahh, Maxwell" John's walked in front pulling a metal cart to the side
_____________________________________________