Chapter 3

The last of the boxes were removed by the hired moving company. With a loud pat on the back door of the truck, the gears cranked and drove off towards the airport. 

Ann's father looked at his precious daughter. She hadn't changed since she'd left the hospital. Her eyes were glossed over, half open, while he struggled to see out of his squint with the Texas sun blinding them from above.

He wrapped his arm around her shoulder, in a meager attempt to comfort her, while watched the truck with their belongings disappear from view. The pair made their way inside into a very empty house, the only thing greeting them were the luggage they were bringing with them on their flight, which was to leave in a few hours. 

He kissed his daughter on her head, "Come Ann, it's time for us to go." He said softly, picking up their stuff while his daughter minded him despondently. 

And so, the two of them left the place they had called home, hoping to lock away the fear of the unknown and the sorrow inside of the desolate residence.

...

The flight was uneventful, and the pair silent through most of it. Ann stared at the screen on the back of the chair in front of her for about thirty minutes while to plane took off, then slipped into sleep for most of the ten-hour flight, ignoring meals and other food that was brought to her. 

Anns father checked his email and was rewarded with a notification that all of his goods had arrived prior to them making it to their new residence. And the duo left the airport, rental car in tow and began the three-hour drive to the island. 

The difference was unbelievable to Anns father, though he felt that despite being on the other side of the world, his daughter had hardly notice. He hoped that the green rolling hills, lichen hanging from the branches of the trees above them, and the fog as it rolled in, might help wake her from this daze, but her response was nonexistent. 

They drove in silence; the only sound coming from the talk show that was on the radio quietly.

They eventually made it to the harbor, and Anns father stepped out of their vehicle to speak to the ferrymen and to check them in. Ann looked around, seeing the rows of faces that were catching a ride to the island. She looked at each one of them, but not entirely registering they were there, and if asked to point them out the next day, she felt that she could not do so.

After a few minutes, Ann's father got back in the car, and drove onto the ferry, behind a row of other cars. They stayed in the car for a few minutes and got out when the ferry chugged and lurched from the beach and headed out into deeper water. Ann followed her father to the ledge so they could look out across the water. The island was probably smaller than some of the cities in Texas, and her father couldn't help but mention it, but it was pretty. Surrounded by pale white beaches, and some up cutting stones that tried to reach the sky. Water lapped at the boat as Ann looked on. 

Buildings stood tall, and in the distance, hills roamed on the expanse of the island, little houses appearing as the neared the island. People chattered, walking back and forth along the boat, but such words were lost of the silent pair.

Far off in the distance, Ann could spot a secluded residence. Run down, and in need of some TLC, but such things meant nothing to her. Nothing meant anything to her anymore. 

She began to think about her... but tore herself from such things and turned back to the rental and sat in the passenger seat.

Still by the railing, Anns father gripped the metal tightly, his knuckles turning white. It wasn't supposed to turn out like this. They couldn't live like this forever. Things had to change...