Chapter 9

Suddenly, I get a message notification.

Jungkook:
'So, that's one way to ditch me.'

I feel a bit guilty, but according to my plan, I wasn't supposed to go in the first place. I text him back.

Me:
'Sorry. Had a lot of project work to do. But I heard you guys had fun.'

Jungkook:
'Define fun.'

Me:
'Why? Didn't you have fun?"

Jungkook:
'I did. It's just that... we don't have much in common.'

Me:
'She's a unique one, huh! Hard to find someone like her.'

I wait for a response but it never comes. I quickly put away my phone and go to sleep.

Monday comes, full of surprises. I hear the doorbell and wake up to see what time it is. 5 o'clock. Who's at the door at this hour? I see Maddie still fast asleep. I make my way down to the door and open it.

"Hi!" A joyful woman greets, and enters the house.

"Hi! Mr and Mrs Smith. How are you?" I say, once they are inside.

"Oh we're fine, child. How have you been? Thanks for taking Maddie here." She says, and smiles.

"Yeah. No problem." I reply, offering them something to drink.

"Maddie didn't tell me you guys were supposed to come today." I say, and look at them exchanging glances.

"Actually, it was impromptu. We had a business situation to attend to here, and we had to fly back ASAP." She says, and I understand.

"Mom? Dad?" I suddenly hear a voice behind me, as Maddie slowly comes and hugs her parents. They explain their situation and she nods.

"So, I think you should pack." Her dad says, and she nods lightly.

Both of us rush to our room and start packing her stuff.

"Sorry, it's just so sudden. I didn't know they were just gonna show up like this." She says, still packing fast.

"Hey, it's alright. You can visit me anytime you want. And it's not like we're kids anymore that your parents have to drop you off." I say, and we laugh.

"Yeah, but I do still live with my parents." She says and shrugs.

She hugs me when she's done packing and we go down.

"I'll call you. And meet me when I tell you to." She says while leaving.

"I will." I say and wave to her. Maddie and her parents leave in their car and my house suddenly feels lonely.

I decide to get ready since I'm already up and hop in the shower.

The day goes by in a flurry. The classes were fine and as soon as we handed in one project, we got another to work on.

I rush home and lay down on my bed, thinking if I should move out the other bed or let it stay. Being the lazy person that I am, I don't move it.

A couple of days later, I decide it's high time to start researching for my latest project because if I don't, I would never be able to complete it. So, in the evening, I pick up my shoes and rush outside for some survey.

We were told to talk to shop owners about how they feel their business was running, and also to talk to their employees as to how things could be improved, in their opinion. We have to make a video compilation of all the interviews we take.

I go around my neighborhood and start with a small coffee shop that's run by an old man.

"Can I have a cold coffee, please?" I say, giving him my order and settling down on a table.

Since I have to go around to a lot more shops, I think this is the best drink that would provide me with the determination to go on.

Who am I kidding? I love cold coffee from this coffee shop, and I can't resist it. That's all.

I go through my notes that I've collected, and also revise the list of questions that I have with me.

"Here." A man places my coffee on the table.

I thank him and he sits down facing me. I look around, and then at him with a questioning look. He slowly takes off his mask in response.

"Jungkook!" I exclaim, and look at him with wide eyes.