"Two Households, Both Alike In Dignity"

"Capture the flag!" Peter called, sounding self-important. All the Lost Boys cheered, for they adored an opportunity to battle one another under the thin guise of the Game.

"Teams?" Skunk asked.

A group within the group began to congregate at my side. The small remainder stared, puzzled.

"But that's not fair," whined Foxie.

"Oh don't worry," Peter interjected, diplomatic and pleasant, ever the playful Prince of Mirth. "Let them have their Captain."

"So be it," I said, disaffected.

Peter raised a patchwork flag for all to observe, as was our custom. In response, I drew a lace kerchief from my sleeve, embroidered with a grinning skull.

"Well met!" Smee shouted.

"May the best boys win," Badger announced, and you could see his need to emulate Pan.

"And flog the losers," Smee replied, at which many of Pan's Lost Boys grimaced.

"Surely you don't mean to," Foxie muttered, trying to mask his distress.

"Of course not," I said. "'Tis but an expression."

I smiled at him, magnanimous. He smiled back, nervous. Indeed, our social landscape was rearranging itself in new and sometimes frightening ways.

My Pirates slipped neatly into the shadows, while the Lost Boys gaped with concern and a strong sense of foreboding. In my present mood, I was eager to give them sufficient cause.

Before turning on my heel and joining my crew, I caught Peter's eye. He appeared conflicted, trying so very hard to speak his mind whilst retaining his cavalier affect. It both pained and delighted me.

On the one hand, his turmoil was my doing, I, his friend. On the other, this wild and carefree artifice he had so carefully constructed drew my ire to monumental heights and I felt exalted to see it tested so.

"Have you grown taller?" he asked.

This was not at all what I expected, and it caught me off guard.

"I beg your pardon," I said, "But one does not age in Neverland. Unless I'm mistaken."

"Unless you want to," he replied, sounding for all intents and purposes like the petulant child he was.

I made to take my leave.

"It was bad form, what you done to Badger."

"Bad form," I said, feigning protest. "Dear me, surely not."

"You cut him down. But not this time," he taunted. "You'll not hurt my Lost Boys for your pleasure."

"It did gratify my ego, I must admit. But no, you're absolutely right, Pan. Bad form indeed. Today, I shall be on my best behavior."

I made an ironic gesture drawing an X across my heart. After all, does it not mark the spot?

"You're growing up," he said, accusative. "You're breaking the rules."

"Am I? Tsk tsk tsk. In the Land of Never, I should think rules to be less than à propos."

"What do you mean?" he snapped, his strained patience approaching fever. "You speak like an adult! What are you on about?!"

"Oh pay it little mind, child," I answered, patronizing. "It is of little consequence. Let us have our game."

"An honest game today," he commanded.

I smiled ruefully.

"Upon my word."

With that, I imagined a rapier with a silver hilt, encrusted with jewels. I brandished my weapon of choice over my head, and added a brace of pistols over my bosom.