5: Armoured in Black

NILEA

The bright, red sun had shone on my face, waking me up to the warmth of the Egyptian dawn. I sat up on my bed, still, choosing not to move as I thought about last night's events. "Hey." Duamutef cheerfully exclaimed, popping his head into my room. I turned my head to face him before choosing to turn around and ignore him. There was no way that I was going to let him act like he didn't betray me or himself by pretending to be okay with Imset getting the throne.

When he realised that I wasn't going to reply to him, he sat on the edge of my bed and looked at me, "Look, I am sorry about everything. Especially for last night and leaving you the other time." He was referring to the night that all three of us (the youngest three in the family) had agreed to rebel against father and convince him not to give the throne up so easily, and sabotage Imset's royal preparation. That, obviously, never happened since Imset managed to manipulate Duamutef, resulting in the entire plan failing as Qebehsenuef and I ended up getting caught.

I still didn't reply, so he spoke more, "Ni, seriously, give me a break. I know I was wrong and shouldn't have left either of you like that. I want us to go back to how we were before."

I stared at him in sarcastic awe, "Go back to how we were before? Are you kidding me? We can't. You know that better than anyone else." He was out of words and just stared at me sadly, "If you really want things to go back to normal, then for starters stop trying to manipulate me with the sweet talk that Imset is asking you to use on me. I don't get bought that easily. I bite and fight and will continue to do so."

He still couldn't find the right words to use to talk to me properly. I gave up and sighed before walking towards my dresser when he stopped me by pulling on my hand. "You don't understand do you?" I looked at him, confused. "I am asking you this because you don't have a choice. Yes, I know I was wrong to come to you several times to persuade you to stand with Imset. But this time, it's different." He was pleading to me.

"Different? How?" I loudly said back, annoyed at the fact that he still hadn't learnt and was choosing to hurt me like this.

"Imset. He's throwing Quinn out and handing him completely to the Greeks. You won't ever get to see him again. And he's doing this out of anger for what you did last night." He explained remorsefully to me.

"What I did?" I was shouting now, "I did nothing. It was all you guys. You asked for that to happen."

"Do you not want Quinn?" He was shouting over me now.

"You don't know what I want." I scowled back, but it was at that very moment when Qebehsenuef shoved his body into my room, grabbing all of our attention to himself.

"It's Imset. He's going insane." My brother announced in hurried breaths, I looked at him cluelessly. "He's forbidding anyone from ever loving someone out of our own Godly region. Not just that, he's also putting a ban on us from ever loving a human." I stared at my brother in regretful sorrow.

"I am so sorry." I whispered to pretty much just myself. Qebehsenuef looked at me before deciding to plead, "Please just give into his desire of allowing him to rule and side with him. Please Ni." My brother moved towards and placed his hands on my arms, while looking deeply into my eyes, in search for any unmistakable humanity. I nodded before walking towards the door, only to have Duamutef pull me back again, "Change first." I nodded and did as I was told.

Practically running out of my room with my two brothers behind me, I headed towards the royal hall, only to walk in on my family arguing as the Greek Gods tried to talk but couldn't find the right opportunity to intervene. My entrance managed to bring silence and suspense into the atmosphere as I walked towards my brother.