Waiting

There are 97.5 bricks on the wall in front of me. I obviously had nothing better to do at the moment. Trying to think of happy memories only seemed to make me depressed, and I needed to focus. Sure, there seems no obvious means of escape, but things could change. Maybe they would untie me at some point before they killed me and I could run.
Tried running already. He caught me.
Only because I stopped to climb a tree, right? If I run and just keep running, surely I'll gain some ground.
Doubtful. He has help and I'm not exactly the fastest runner.

The door opened and shut quickly, and my heart and head started pounding again.
I guess it's tomorrow now.
     I had tried to sleep, and I succeeded a few times only to wake up with a start and realize where I was again. I couldn't say how long I had slept any of those times, but I'm guessing it was long enough to make the night turn to day. Unless, of course, Alpha was too eager and wanted an early start.
     A woman walked in front of me. It surprised me that someone so young would be in this place; she looked like a teenager. Her blue eyes looked sad... and guilty. Hope had me rising up as she neared. Perhaps guilt would translate to help.
     "Please. Untie me? I don't want to die."
     She shook her head once to the side, almost as if she were afraid of me asking. A single tear slipped down her cheek and she quickly wiped it away and pushed her tangled black hair out of her face.
    "Please?! Why am I even here?!? What did I do?! Please let me go!" My voice cracked as it rose in desperation. She just stared at me. She didn't say a word. She just watched as the hope I let myself have shattered into a million pieces and fell to the cold floor at my feet. Then I learned why she was here. Guilt or no, she took the black cloth bag  that had been hanging out of her pocket and opened it up. It was empty and I realized then what it looked like and what was about to happen.
     "Wait! No! Please!"
      It looked like the bags they put over the heads of criminals before they were executed in those old movies, and that's what she did. She slipped it over my head and everything got darker. I could still see, though.
In the movies, though, wasn't that the point? The criminal could see the crowd, but the crowd didn't have to see the face of the criminal. I'm guessing that's the case here.
     "Why do I have to die?" I whispered.
     More tears fell down her cheeks, and with my hope gone, resentment boiled up in me.
     "Why the fuck are you crying?! Are you tied to a pole about to die?!"
     At that, she lifted the bag off my head and pulled the roll of duct tape I hadn't seen off her wrist. She tore a piece off and came towards me.
      "Wait! No!"
     Her surprisingly strong hands clamped down on my jaw to hold my mouth closed and she smoothed the tape over the seam. The bag came down over my head again, and she pulled out a syringe. I couldn't move away as she stuck the needle in my arm and dispensed the thick brown liquid.  She looked at me one last time before she walked away with more tears in her eyes.
     I waited to feel side effects from whatever I had been injected with, but I didn't feel a thing.
Maybe it was putting a face to one of my captors, having a execution bag over my head, or the duct tape to hold in my screams, but everything struck me cold as the sad girl walked away. I was about to die. Everything I had ever dreamed of doing with my life was just that... a dream. I'd never fall in love, I'd never graduate college, I'd never travel to the places I wanted to explore. I'd never do the small things either. I'd never get a puppy or paint my room. Then I realized I'd never get to talk all night with my sister again. I'd never hug my parents again. Tears welled up in my eyes and I couldn't stop them. I was going to die. My life would be no more on this earth. I'd be a memory for a short time until all who remembered me were gone. My chest heaved and I sobbed freely now, but it was suffocating. I could only breath through my nose, and it was quickly starting to run; the stuffy air inside the execution bag only made everything worse. I was going to die, and why? I still had no clue as to why. I wouldn't ever know, it seems.

                    **********

    My tears eventually subsided, and my body only shook slightly with my whimpers. The door creaked open again, but my curiosity was gone. I was going to die slowly; maybe I could just close my eyes and hide inside my own mind until it was over. My head hung low and I didn't glance up as some guy's feet came into view. He didn't speak. He just stood there a moment before setting down two large plastic containers. I only jerked my head up in fear once I smelt it.
Gasoline.
     He had taken the lid off of one container and hefted it back up. I squirmed and tried to scream as he poured it on me. He soaked the bag and my hair especially well, and, when that jug was empty, he opened the next and continued to cover me. I gagged on the smell. Only breathing through my nose was torture; the fumes were so strong. I was entirely soaked; my clothes, hair, and skin were all drenched.
They're going to set me on fire?!?! Is this the painful death he had promised? I don't want to die this way! Please!
    I shook my head and body. I struggled to free my hands, but the ropes just dug deeper into my wrists, cutting into them and making them bleed.
     The man had left. I hadn't even really looked at him, but he was gone, and I was suffocating on the fumes and my fears. Then I waited.