Two People From Different Backgrounds [4]

I will give this one a proper title one day. This was a short story I had to write for my English Language mock exam which I'm not allowed back after I get my mark so I'm doing this based on memory so sorry if it's a bit terrible. (Also this is set in 1800's)

~~~Start~~~

It was a terrible idea, I think deep down I knew that. I would lose my job, or worse if I was caught, then I would be sent back to my Mother and sisters back in the slums. I did not want to go back there. I would do anything to avoid going back to that place. Despite being a mere servent, I have so many more happy memories here than I ever did before.

I think Simon has something to do with that. I owe Simon everything, he was the one that gave me my job after all. I had to lie to Simon's father to get this position, I claimed I was 16 years old (a whole year older than I really was) and that I had many years worth of experience in dealing with "troubled" children. Simon wasn't a troubled child though. When I first met him I wondered if I was talking to the right boy.

Simon had been dressed in his Sunday best, as his father had instructed, and waited patiently and politely as my instructions were read aloud to me. I was meant to care for Simons every need: wake him up in the mornings, clean up after him, bring him notices from his father and tutor, bring and serve his meals... But Simon didn't want me to do any of that.

I was meant to be his friend, not officially of course, people like me and Simon couldn't ever officially be considered friends. He just wanted someone to talk to, I lost count of the amount of hours we'd spend together, just talking. Years of being the only surviving child of his parents and living in a large house with no one to talk to had taken its toll on the blond teenage boy. His heart was stinging with loneliness. At the end of every row he had with his father he would call for me and I would sit with him and calm his nerves.

On this particular night the row had begun over Simons academic achievements, or lack thereof. At my count, the argument had lasted for quarter of an hour without any sign of stopping before Simon fled the room, a great bruise growing on the side of his face. A further 20 minutes past and Simon still hadn't called for me. I was worried for him. Without thinking, I went to Simon's locked bedroom door and knocked on it lightly.

It was a horrible idea. I had been strictly forbidden from approaching Simon without permission, but this was too important.
"Simon?" I asked. I was meant to address Simon as "sir" bit we had disposed of formalities when out of earshot of Simons father months ago.
"Simon?" I asked again, knocking a little louder this time. His silence should have been my cue to leave, but I entered anyway.

After scanning the dark room a few times I found Simon, curled up in a corner with his knees pulled up to his chest. I couldn't tell if he was crying or not.
"Simon are you allright?"
"It's nothing" He dismissed. I knew that he was lying, I also knew that it wasn't my place to call him out on it. I sat down next to him and said nothing else, my presence alone seemed to be bringing a little bit of light to Simon's dark corner.

"What if we were to leave?" Simon asked suddenly.
"Leave where?" I wanted to be sure of Simons intentions before I said anymore.
"Here, my home, your job. What if we left it all behind and started again?" I thought about Simons offer for a little while before, for the first time, answering his question honestly.
"I don't know" another awkward silence filled the room.
"We could do it you know..." He said, his sentence grew quieter the longer it went on, I could tell he thought saying it was a mistake. I didn't know if he was being hypothetical or serious, but after a little bit I returned to giving him words of comfort.
"We could"
"If we did, would you stay by my side?"
"Forever" I said, I don't think I was lying.

It was a terrible idea, I think deep down I knew that. But at the time it seemed like the best choice I could ever had made.

~~~End~~~

Update: I was actually really lucky and got my mark back for this. Apparently this was worth 38/40 marks which is honestly so surprising. (Sorry if it sounds like I'm boasting, I'm just really proud)