Chapter 2

All the way home I couldn't stop thinking about John. He was the quietest and he stood there with his bass just singing along and strumming serenely and calmly.

Almost like he was away from the noisiness of the club and in his own world.

I was very much the same way. If you get me a book or give me a record player and put on my favorite records, I easily get lost.

It's a wonderful feeling

        "So Lu, how'd you like the boys' performance?" I heard Hayden ask me from somewhere in the distance.

"It was really gear. I had a great time. But what did you tell Ariel?"

Ariel was Hayden's current girl. I was his girlfriend but he had lots of other birds hanging on his arms.

       “I just told her I had something more important to do.”  He said, shrugging his shoulders.

       “Really?  And she was good with that?” 

       “Why wouldn’t she be?  She knows I have both you and her to care for.”

       “No reason.  Just wondering if it bothered her.”

       “Is there something else bothering YOU, Lu?”

       “No. Why would there be?”

       “You just seem a bit edgy, is all.”

       “Well I’m not.”  I said and crossed my arms over my chest in an act of defiance.

Hayden looked at me but didn’t push the issue.

We drove the rest of the way to my small flat in silence.