Chapter 4

Saturday came quickly and soon i was heading to the club with Hayden. I couldn't wait to see John and the other boys play! We got there in about 5 minutes. The dance club at the dock smelled of cigarette smoke and alcohol. I choked and sputtered as I walked by a group of kids my age on my way to get fresh air. The dance floor was hot so it was nice to get away for a minute. I realized that Hayden hadn’t followed me.  He probably went to go get beer or something.  I assured myself.  He did have a somewhat alcohol problem but I tried to overlook it since it had never caused him to hurt me. 

Once outside I stood on the dock and looked at the stars.  As I was stargazing, I heard footsteps from behind me. I expected either John or Hayden but that's not who it was. It was Keith the Who's drummer!

"Hi Keith! How's the gig going?" Keith shrugged. "It's alroight I s'pose. But I needed a break and some quiet for a minute."

I moved over so he could look at the sky with me. The night was cold and the stars shone brightly. It was beautiful. Serene.

Suddenly the beauty was broken with a clearly inebriated Hayden bursting onto the porch and coming right for me and grabbing me roughly by the wrist.

"Com'on! We're going home!" I looked at Keith with fear in my eyes...

“HAYDEN, PLEASE LET GO. Hayden, please. You’re hurting me.”  I whimpered.  Tears began to fill my eyes.  I refused to let them fall as I struggled against my clearly inebriated boyfriend’s stronghold.  He went from my wrist to my waist practically dragging me to the car.  My eyes grew wide when I saw him open the trunk instead of the backseat. 

“Hayden stop!!!  HAYDEN!! SOMEONE PLEASE HELP! HELP ME!” I screamed as loud as I could.  This time I did allow the tears to fall as I was thrown into the trunk and it became dark.  The sobs wracked my whole body as I lay in the dank trunk.

One name popped into my head as I lay still, the one name that pulsated back and forth: John.

~John’s POV~

         “Lucy’s in trouble! Last I saw her she was being dragged off by her boyfriend to his car.”  Keith informed me.  My eyes grew wide.  I dropped my bass and ran.

I rushed to the aid of this beautiful quiet girl I had barely met.  I don’t know how but I knew I had to help her out. 

I caught sight of her being thrown into the trunk of her boyfriend’s car.  My throat closed up in fear. 

         “GET AWAY FROM HER!” I yelled at him.  He whirled around to face me.  The poor bloke looked like he had way too many beers because he nearly fell over.  He tried to fight me and did nick me in the cheek.  But I wasn’t quite as drunk and punched him out.  Then I flung open the door and gathered Lucy in my arms.

         “You’re safe now.  That madman will never hurt you again.”  I gently kissed her cheek where it had been bruised from hitting the floor.  She smiled at me and then fell asleep in my arms.