Chapter 2: Who To Trust?

TW: SCOLDING, BREAK UP SCENE, ABUSE MENTIONS

The rest of the day dragged on painfully, between finding classrooms and awkward introductions with teachers. Felix was extremely happy in each of the classes we had together, often sitting next to me when he had the chance.

The teachers varied in personalities, from extremely strict to where it was chaos with how laid back they were. Mrs. Murphy, my homeroom and history teacher, has to be my favorite though. She seems very trustworthy, and someone I would run to for comfort, if Felix wasn’t there of course.

“What’re you thinking about?” Felix asked me while stepping onto the bus once again. He walked directly behind me, maybe a little too close.

    “School.” I said bluntly.

    “Meh, I don’t really like school.”

    “Why is that?” I questioned as I sat in the same seat as this morning.

    “Too much homework, and it’s boring.”

    “You say boring, I say fascinating. It’s new and exciting to me.”

    “Why?”

    “Well, I’ve been homeschooled my whole life. I didn’t really get to talk to people other than my parents and coworkers.”

    “Coworkers? You have a job?” He furrowed his brows.

    “I work with my parents, they send me to beauty pageants all over the US. The ones they run anyway.”

    “You do certainly look the part.” He winked.

    “Thank you. I have to be, the days where I lost to other women have been my worst days…”

“I can see why, your parents must put a lot of pressure on you to succeed.”

“Yeah. You have no idea...” The bus pulls up at our stop as we rise up out of our seats and exit the bus. He turns around once the bus pulls away to face me. “I’ll see you tomorrow?”

“See you tomorrow.” He opens his arms and envelops me in a hug and I tense as he nears a bruise on my back with his hand. He gives a light squeeze, touching my bruise as I let out a yelp. He reacts immediately, releasing me and puts his hands out in front of him.

“Woah! What did I do? Are you okay?”  He backs up slightly, inspecting me.

“It’s nothing, just a bruise. You didn’t do anything.” He sighs, putting his hands down and relaxing.

“If you don’t mind me asking… Where’d you get the bruise?”

“O-Oh uh…” I flinch at the question. How do I explain a bruise on my back?

Are you expecting me to help?

That would be appreciated…

Well, I’ll give you this one. You’re very clumsy, so just say that you fell off the stage during a recent pageant, hitting your back on the bars lining the stage.

I owe you one.

I’ll add that one to the list...

“I-I fell on the runway at a recent competition. I hit my back on one of the poles that line the stage.” I fib, forcing a laugh. I look Felix in the eyes, he seems to accept my excuse.

“Alright, you should be more careful.”

“Will do, see ya Fe!” I giggle softly as I step onto my front porch, watching him walk down the sidewalk. I open the front door and cautiously step inside, looking for any signs that my parents might be intoxicated. I spot an arrangement of beer bottles on the kitchen counter, my anxiety heightens as I rush up the stairs, only to run face first into my father’s chest as I fall backwards and back down the stairs.

I let out a yelp as I hit my head on the floor, ending up disoriented. I hear my father thump down the stairs as I get back up, wobbling slightly. He stomps past me and stops at the front door, taking his beer bottle and smashing it on the doorstep. “We’re done, Aideen!” He shouts as he takes his leave, getting in his car and driving off.

“Fine asshole!” My mother shouts back, her eyes land on me. “Sorry that you had to see that dear.”

I shakily nod my head and reply, “I-It’s okay Mum.”

She takes a deep breath. “So how was school today?”

“Good! I made a f-friend.”

“Ooh! What’s her name?” Her?

Remember her policy on boys? Lie to her.

Okay, I lied to Felix, but I am not lying to my Mum.

Suit yourself.

“I-It’s a guy actually.” Mum pauses, processing what I just said. Her face turns to a scowl.

“You do remember our policy on men, correct?” Her fist is clenched as she takes a deep breath. “Did he touch you in anyway?”

I’m quick to respond, “No ma'am!”

“Then, I guess this is okay. But don’t think this is an excuse to talk to more boys missy. Now go to your room.”

I curtly nod as I make my way back up the stairs, entering my room and shutting the door behind me. I set my backpack down by my bed, as well as the laptop provided by the school. I plug in the laptop then sit on my bed, sighing. I run my hand through my hair, removing my flower crown in the process. I then take off my shoes, standing up to put them and the flower crown away. I return to my bed and play on my phone until I tire out, not being able to eat dinner today. I get under my covers and fall asleep.