13. Darklings

Whispers in my ear

Of untold fear

May I be so bold

Unlock the tower

Free the power

Within

Entering from the main entrance, she gaped at the rolls of massive expresso color wood tables and their benches arranged neatly. Against the northern wall she spotted a long table nestled between a podium and wall while silver elegant dishes decorated it.

Her eyes leapt to the massive stained glass windows, depicting creatures in crucial moments of history glowing from behind curtains the color of night. The floors were covered in a white marble with specks that gleamed like stardust. Thick columns lined the main entrance archway and she stared at the carvings of fae engraved above the archways.

This place was amazing! Creepy, but cool.

Her stomach gurgled. Adjusting her cap to hide her eyes, she shuffled over to the line where gourmet food lined the quartz countertops on silvers platters. This place had all the bells and whistles. And why not? It made sense considering the grandeur of her own room.

Grabbing a tray, she reminded herself not to gawk at the darklings in their natural forms. But it became exceedingly difficult when the top of her head only reached the creature in front of her midsection. His rich midnight blue skin shimmered under the lights. Her fingers twitched at the thought of running her hands across his flesh. It was purely platonic.

She bit her lip and jumped as he turned towards her. As if he could sense her thoughts. Her lungs froze.

"Hi," she squeaked before staring intently at the gourmet food lining the counters. Was he still staring? A sighed escaped her lips as she deflated like a popped balloon. Sheesh, that was close.

Placing the black tray on the counter, she slid it down filling it with various dishes. Her eyes sparked at the colorful palettes and delicious smells filling the air.

Nerves piled in her belly at the thought of sitting alone. Grabbing her tray, her eyes shifted around looking for a spot to sit. Chatter hummed in her ears, as she ambled through the crowds searching for a spot. Yes! She spotted a girl that looked around her age sitting at a table by herself. Maybe they could be friends!

She edged closer her eyes colliding with the girl. Whoa, they were a rich shade of red, a dark red. Chills erupted along Rosalinda's skin. They reminded her of blood, by the gallons of it. She spotted black lines at the corner of each eye. Hmm, interesting. While she gawked she failed to notice the background noise fading away into nothingness as she approached the table where the lone girl sat.

Why the sudden increase of interest where she was sitting now? She clenched her tray in her hands slightly jostling the dishes as she hurried over to loner girl. Setting her tray down, she dropped down onto the wooden bench. Her greys clashed with her red ones and a feeling of nostalgia slammed into her.