4

"Fuck you, Castle! Open up!! Give me back that damn album!" she pounded on the bathroom door, the same bathroom door he'd locked and now hid behind as she could hear him looking through the photos by the sound of pages turning.

"But you are so cute," his voice rumbled from the other side of the door. "Seriously Kate, I had no idea you were a model."

She groaned. "It was a summer. One stupid summer, ok?" She growled as she rested her back against the door and slowly slid down.

"One amazing summer, you mean," his voice was muffled through the door and being down at butt-level she suddenly realized he was sitting down as well.

She groaned again, bumping her head back into the door.

"Kate?"

"Yeah..?"

"Are you annoyed with me?"

She sighed. "Am I not always annoyed with you?"

His chuckle had her lips pull up even though she knew she shouldn't feel the least bit happy about him looking at the pictures taken of her in various clothes and poses. Urgh. Without any warning the door suddenly opened and she fell backwards to the floor.

"Ouch!" she curved into a ball at the sudden pull on her scar.

"Oh my god! I'm so sorry! Are you hurt?" He quickly changed his choice of words. "Stupid question, can I help?"

She just shook her head, biting her lip as she tried to take calming breath against the small pain. His hands were carefully touching her shoulder, probably in a try to comfort her and, she didn't know why or how, but his touch actually helped.

"I'm sorry, I didn't think you were actually leaning on the door," his voice was gentle and filled with regret.

"Is okay," she told on an exhale.

She was carefully starting to get up but didn't get far before his arms went underneath hers in order to lift her up. The second she was on her feet he moved his arms but kept one around her to keep her steady. She couldn't resist thanking him by kissing his cheek.

"You're still cute though," he smirked and she rolled her eyes.

"And you're still annoying."

He stuck his tongue out and she gave him a look, but after his lips came crashing on hers without hesitation she couldn't stop the smile his kiss left behind once he pulled apart. He let go of her for enough time to pick up the album he'd let land on the floor the second she'd fallen inside the bathroom. She was quick to snatch the photo album back into her arms and sighed when he gave her those blue puppy eyes he had every time she tried to close him off from a case.

"I thought modeling would give me more money than waitressing." She gave her story while setting her pace towards the couch.

He obediently followed her like the shadow he had started out to be and sat down beside her, his arms open in invitation. She didn't even hesitate this time, just leaned into him with her back to his chest and felt comfortable when his arms went around her. She opened the photo album on page one and started telling him about all the different jobs she'd done that summer. Where she'd been, what she'd been posing as and why. She surprised herself by telling him the not so fancy lifestyle of a model as well, or at least the parts she'd experienced. She also told him Mathilda King had been shocked when she'd said no to continue her modeling career, no one had ever said no to Mathilda. Castle sat amused, listened to the softened version of the homicide detective. Right there, in his arms, she was more Kate than he'd really ever seen her. And he couldn't help but fall in love with her all over again.