05 | parlour games

"Whomever the bottle points to you are permitted to kiss. It needs to be boy, girl, boy, girl," Josie Pye declared with an air of boredom.

Silas uncomfortably looked around at his classmates. Beside him were Ruby Gillis and Billy Andrews.

"Where does that leave Cole?" Billy queried to a crackle of laughter.

Silas looked to Cole, suddenly caught in his stare.

"Don't," murmured Silas to Billy.

"What? You're defending him?"

Silas was grateful for Josie's interruption. "Jane, go sit next to your dumb brother. Tillie, you're over there . . . and, Anne, switch places with Charlie."

She sat herself beside Cole and told him something which she thought was comforting. Cole responded less enthusiastically.

"Who would like to spin first?" she asked.

"Diana!" Charlie exclaimed, much to Diana's surprised disappointment.

She gingerly spun the bottle and waited. Silas hoped it would not land on him; he thought she was kind, but he didn't want to have to kiss any of the girls. He'd only known them a few days.

"Uh— Moody."

"Me?"

"Now you have to kiss," Josie informed the two. " . . . On the mouth."

The class gasped and giggled in hushed voices at this new rule. Diana cleared her throat as Moody stood to greet her.

"Good afternoon, Moody."

"Good afternoon, Diana. I'm— going to kiss you now."

They awkwardly leaned in to give a slight peck, earning an applause and many cheers. Billy looked slightly disappointed behind his smile.

"Your turn, Anne."

"I'm out. No way," Billy chuckled and looked at his friends expectantly, who laughed for him.

"Ugly orphan."

Anne's hand had extended toward the bottle and began to tremble. Her eyes were in a different world, filled with fear and fixed on the bottle.

"What are you afraid of, Anne? I seem to recall you know a lot about intimate relations."

His classmates still roared with laughter. Silas's stomach turned with worry for Anne, whose hand shook violently even as she rested it on her knees. Her friends looked alarmed, including Cole. Even Moody seemed sympathetic.

"Anne? Ever been kissed, Anne?"

"Josie, stop it," Silas stood up at the same time as Anne.

"No!" Anne grabbed her bag and stormed from the room, leaving Diana calling for her.

"What's wrong with you? We were just joking," Billy told him.

"What's wrong with me? That was completely unnecessary. This whole game was a stupid idea," Silas growled back.

More of the class stood now, looking worried and excited at the argument now taking over. Diana hurried after Anne.

"Calm down, bud'. She's only a red-haired orphan. We can play without her."

"I don't care what she is, but I know she's more of a decent person than you'll ever be."

Billy rose to his feet and stood face-to-face with Silas. "Oh, yeah?"

"Yeah. You're an ignorant cow." Silas at once regretted his choice of words. A few of the girls gasped. Everyone stood now, waiting to see what would happen.

Billy's eyes locked with his. They were a cold dark grey and filled with fury. But still, he seemed lost for words.

Silas took a step backwards before breaking his gaze and walking towards the door out of the school. If Billy hadn't said anything now, he'd be planning something.

i've been here three days and i've already made enemies.

Silas took his bag from a hook and left. He didn't feel like going home, not yet. It was too warm or too cold and had a lingering scent of sickness.

After five minutes of walking through the woods aimlessly, Silas heard footsteps behind him. He clenched his fists and spun around, expecting Billy's loathsome face to be behind him.

But it was Cole. His expression concerned and his eyes gentle.

"I've made a mistake, haven't I?" he admitted to Cole.

Cole smiled. He really smiled. "I know a place you can hide out."