23 | return

When Silas woke that morning, Cole had already made his bed and packed; he was nowhere to be seen.

Silas wandered through the corridors, trying to find the correct door that led to the ballroom. Eventually he stumbled upon the great wisteria-adorned hall. He entered just in time to catch Cole and Aunt Josephine leaving with their arms entwined.

"Silas," Cole greeted.

"Good morning, my dear. I wish you two the best that life can offer, for I know the world holds great things for you. Remember Anne's true words of last night." With that, Aunt Josephine nodded to them both and winked at Silas. She disappeared in an instant down the corridor to another room in the maze of the mansion she called home.

"I didn't hear Anne last night," Silas admitted.

"We were at the front row, how did you miss her?" Cole said.

"My mind was preoccupied with . . . other things."

"Oh, right. That's very ominous. Well, we best be off."

Cole turned to leave.

"Cole." Silas paused. "That was . . . the best time. You're a— you're a good dancer."

"You're not so bad yourself, Si," Cole giggled.

*   *   *   *   *

Silas got home after dark. The horse-drawn  carriage wobbled away slowly as he waved to his friends inside.

The door was already unlocked, as expected. His mother would most likely be asleep by now. Silas passed the room with a wooden door  with his head turned to the stairs, not wanting to look it. But he was only halfway up the stairs when the door creaked open.

"Silas," called his father's voice.

He hadn't seen his father in almost weeks, let alone spoken to him.

"Where have you been?" His father asked.

"I was at my friend's aunt's party. Mother gave me permission."

"A party? At a time like this? Have you no shame?"

Silas did not like his father's eyes. They were distant or cold, there was no in-between. His mother's weren't too much of an improvement.

"There is no shame in wanting to feel something other than sadness," Silas murmured.

"You're completely heartless. You think of only yourself," he hissed in return. "And speak up. You're too quiet."

His father opened the wooden door to retire to the disease-smelling room again, though Silas spoke before he could leave. "I'm sorry I'm not your perfect son. I'm sorry it wasn't me that got sick. Can't you see you're not the only one in pain?"

"Go to sleep, Silas. Don't speak of this again."

The door shut. All he wanted was Cole's hand to hold, Cole's reassuring smile. Instead, he received the feel of tears against his cheeks.