eleven.

Beca's POV

"Hey, next time I'm coming to see you," I say, leaning on Chloe's car as I speak to her through the driver's window. "I wanna see what swish place you own now," I joke. Chloe giggles and shakes her head.
"It's bigger than what we had in Brooklyn, but it's nothing great. But by all means, feel free to visit sometime."
I smile and rest my hand on hers briefly.
"I, um, just wanted to say again that I'm sorry I didn't talk to you sooner. Things have just been a little crazy for a while, you know?"
Chloe nods her head.
"It's okay. I have a surgical theory exam coming up soon so I understand what you mean about being busy. But we'll be okay now, we've got each other."
"Chloe Beale, you are cheesier than the writing they put in birthday cards. But you know what? That's why I love you. Have a safe journey, babe. Text me when you get back so I know you've got home okay." I lean in to kiss Chloe on the cheek before stepping back so she can drive away.

"I love you too," she shouts back as she pulls out of the apartment block car park, onto the street. I wave until she's out of sight before walking back towards my apartment - which still smells of burnt pancake, despite the fact Chloe and I did everything we could in the attempt to get rid of it. Ugh, I had to go and make a fool of myself trying to do something nice. At least Chloe wasn't a dick about it. Realistically though, is that even something possible for her? I mean, she's probably the loveliest person I know. Apart from maybe Jessica or Ashley. But they don't really say enough for me to make any proper judgement either way. And truthfully, I'm still not exactly certain who's Jessica. Does anyone even know?

I walk into the kitchen of a thousand regrets, figuring I can't put my life in danger making a cup of coffee. As I wait for the kettle to boil, I flick through Instagram and click on the photos Chloe's tagged me in.

Jeez, she looks good in every one. I'm hardly surprised though, her entire Instagram is perfect. She's basically perfect. More than can be said for me, I guess. I mean, which one of us has been kissed by someone we actually want in the last six months? Clearly not me, I'm a mess.

I leave a couple of comments on the photos before taking my coffee to the dining table where I left my laptop. I'm tempted to start a new mix but know that I have to keep working on my original song if I actually want to get anywhere in life right now.

Putting on my headphones, I'm determined to get something done. Even if it does take all night.

~~~

Chloe | 9.47 P.M.
Hey, I'm home ☺️

Chloe's text wakes me up from where I was drifting off, my head resting on the wooden table.

Beca | 9.48 P.M.
Good. x

Chloe | 9.49 P.M.
I was thinking

Chloe | 9.49 P.M.
I wanna help you some more
so if you want a few lyric
starters, I could give you
some? I'm no Emily Junk
but I have a few phrases...

Beca | 9.50 P.M.
Absolutely! I would be
really grateful, Chlo.

Chloe | 9.50 P.M.
Promise not to laugh or
make fun?

Beca | 9.51 P.M.
Babe, I wouldn't do that.

Chloe | 9.53 P.M.
Okay

Chloe | 9.53 P.M.
Something like

Chloe | 9.54 P.M.
"Got me paralysed and I
think I like it"

Chloe | 9.54 P.M.
"Caught me by surprise, I'm
not usually like this"

Chloe | 9.55 P.M.
"Blah blah why's this feel so
right, something something
all night"

Chloe | 9.56 P.M.
I was thinking it would be
part of a chorus idk

Beca | 9.56 P.M.
CHLOE OH MY GOD WHY
DO YOU LIE AND SAY
YOU CAN'T WRITE?

Chloe | 9.57 P.M.
...You really think I can?

Beca | 9.58 P.M.
I mean, obviously.

Beca | 9.58 P.M.
You should write more
stuff :)

Chloe | 9.59 P.M.
So you can use it, huh? 😉

Beca | 9.59 P.M.
No! I mean, I wouldn't mind
but everything would only
be with your permission.

Beca | 10.00 P.M.
Anyway, it gives me something
to actually go from, so thank
you.

Beca | 10.00 P.M.
I'll let you sleep now, I'm
sure you're tired, night. x

Chloe | 10.07 P.M.
Sorry I just went to find my
pyjamas

Chloe | 10.07 P.M.
I'm always here if you need
help, goodnight B xx

~~~

Sitting in front of a keyboard 11 hours later, I look around. Theo doesn't seem to have arrived at work yet, which means I can finally get some peace and quiet to carry on the song uninterrupted.

D. F#m. E. F#m. I think it's a chord sequence that could fit with what Chloe's sent me. From my interpretation, her lyrics seem to describe a snapshot in time - two strangers meeting for the first time and having some kind of connection, then a sudden realisation. Where to go from there, who knows. But I guess it's a start.

I take off my headphones and walk over to the coffee machine to fetch myself a drink. What can I say, I basically run on coffee.

Calling this my 'break', I reach into my back pocket for my phone. I switch it on, but I don't have any notifications. I don't exactly know what I'm expecting, it's not like Jesse's suddenly gonna send a 'babe, I'm sorry, I love you', so I don't know what I'm waiting expectantly for.

Oh my god, stop thinking Jesse fucking Swanson is the answer to all your problems, Beca. He isn't. He can't be.

"Beca?"

I suddenly realise I'm not the only one trying to engage in a conversation with me. Turning around, I meet the eyes of a slightly taller, slim, blonde-haired woman. No idea who she is though.

She glances down at my coffee and back up again, but doesn't say any more.
"Oh," I say suddenly, figuring she's trying to get to the coffee machine. "Sorry."
"For what?" she asks, evidently puzzled. Oh, maybe I was wrong then.
"Oh, I- Never mind then. What's up?"
"I've been told to fetch you."
"By who...?" My brow furrows slightly with her lack of explanation.
"By Carl Sanchez. He wants to see you."
"Sorry, but who? I know I've been here 4 and a half months, but I don't really know that many people," I state truthfully.
"He's Khaled's co-manager. But he covers the business side of the label, whereas DJ Khaled is more creative."
"He wants to see me?"
"Yes. Now preferably."
"Okay... sure," I mutter, putting down my drink. Iced coffee will have to do when I come back, I guess. "Lead the way..." I pause. I don't know her name either.
"Leanne."
"Okay, take me to him, Leanne."

-
IF ANYONE KNOWS THE SONG THAT CHLOE'S LYRICS ARE FROM I LOVE YOU
And if you don't, I still love you, but you should go check the song out, I'm basically claiming it as bechloe's song so it helps if you know it 😂