Part 3

I wake up to Shawn shifting around in the bed. He sits up and digs through his backpack at the end of the bed and pulls on a pair of swim trunks and holds a white tee shirt in his hands. I rub my eyes and sit up.

"Where are you going?" I ask, glancing at my watch and seeing it's just after six in the morning.

"I'm going fishing." He replies. He stands up, bending over slightly so his six foot one frame doesn't hit the low ceiling of the loft. I admire his muscular body. He smirks, pulling the shirt over his head.

"Can I come?"

"Sure." He shrugs. We quietly climb down the ladder and exit the house. We grab and fishing poles out of the shed and head towards the river.

We find a nice spot along the bank to sit and cast our lines out. I open my backpack and pull out a couple apples and granola bars that I grabbed while Shawn was getting the fishing stuff. I also hand him a water bottle. We munch away on our breakfast, remaining fairly quiet so that we don't scare the fish away. Shawn and I sit with our shoulders touching as we wait for a fish to bite.

"I think I got something." Shawn tells me as something begins to tug and pull at his line. He reels in the fishing line to reveal a nice sized fish. He tells me it's a trout. He puts it inside the bucket he brought with him and casts his line out again.

We end up catching five fish. It will be enough for all of us to have dinner. We're packing up to head back when I feel Shawn give me a hard shove. I let out a screech as I tumble into the cool river water. It's not very deep; I can sit on the shallow banks. I stare up at him in shock as he tries to hold in a laugh.

"What the hell was that for?" I laugh.

"I'm sorry," Shawn joins in on my laughing. "I couldn't resist."

"Help me out." I demand, sticking up a hand towards him. He rolls his eyes and grabs my out stretched hand. I give it a hard tug and he comes tumbling into the water next to me. He splashes to the surface, pushing his wet hair away from his eyes.

"Jerk." He mumbles and I let out a loud laugh. He pushes my shoulder and I fall back into the water. I grab his shoulders and pull him down with me. We both end up in the water, rolling around and splashing each other.

Eventually we climb out and start heading towards home. I gather apples and berries on the way back to eat with the fish for dinner. We find our way back and see y/f/n and y/s/n sitting around a small fire.

"Hey Shawn, we caught a rabbit in one of the traps. Would you mind skinning it for us?" Y/f/n asks.

"Sure thing. What would you guys do without me?" Shawn chuckles, heading over the the small wood table by the fire that we set up for skinning.

"Don't be so cocky." I tell him, lightly bumping his shoulder. He smirks at me.

"Probably starve." Y/s/n replies honestly. It was probably true too. I don't think any of us would have been able to skin fish or animals to eat.

Shawn skins the rabbit and we roast it over the fire to eat for lunch. We pull out a can of corn to eat to and then we all sit around wondering what to do. We've never had this much freedom before in our lives so we're not really sure how to use it yet. Y/s/n and y/f/n decide to go explore the woods while Shawn and I choose to stay back. He grabs a deck of cards out of the house and we sit by the dwindling fire playing gin rummy.

"You know, you never told me why you guys wanted to build this place on the first place. Or why you decided to live in it all summer." Shawn notes as he lays down a tepid hearts.

"We built it with the intention of living in it all summer." I reply, snatching up the two. "Gin." I lay down four twos, three kings and three tens.

"Damnit." Shawn mumbles. "But why did you want to live out here this summer?"

"It became," I pause, searching for the right word to describe my situation. "Uncomfortable living at my house. After my dad left us, my mom starting dating. They were always these young slutty guys that just wanted money and booze and sex from my mom and then they would leave her. They were dicks to her and us while she treated them like queens and y/s/n and I like shit. Both of us just got fed up and decided to leave. Y/f/n on the other hand, her parents travel a lot and aren't really home. When they are they don't pay a lot of attention to her so she decided to come with us."

"Understandable."

"So, Shawn," I say, shuffling the deck of cards and dealing out a new hand. "What made you decide to come out here and live with us?"

"I was worried. I didn't want you to get hurt." He explains.

"What?"

"I care about you, y/n. A lot." Shawn admits, biting his lip nervously.

Just as I'm about to reply, y/s/n and y/f/n come trudging out of the forest with a basket full of random things found. I look up at Shawn as his blush begins to fade and he gives me a small smile which I return.

"We'll talk later." I tell him, placing a hand on his shoulder before heading over to y/f/n and y/s/n to help them carry their load.