Part 14

Surprisingly the doctor called us in before our parents arrived. A nurse leads us back to an empty examining room and ushers us inside. She takes Shawn's temperature along with his blood pressure and then leads him out into the hallway so she can measure his height and weight. She scribbles a couple things down on her clip board before excusing herself from the room and telling us the doctor would be in shortly.

Shawn lazily slumps in his seat; his head dropping onto my shoulder and resting there. His hands make their way into my lap and grasp mine. I can tell he's nervous because his knee bounces up and down. I don't know what he's more nervous about, the fact that he has a serious infection or the fact that we're going to have to deal with our parents.

A knock sounds at the door and it opens. A middle-aged man with graying hair steps through the door. He wears blue scrubs under a white lab coat. A stethoscope hangs casually around his neck and an ID tag is clipped onto the pocket of his coat. His smiles at us and greets us warmly as he pulls a pair of rubber gloves out of the box by the sink.

"Hello, I'm Dr. Clark. Shawn can I have you hop up here on the table for me?" Shawn gulps and nods quickly. I squeeze his hands quickly as he releases from my grasp and does as the doctor asks.

"Why don't you tell me what's the matter."

"I feel down while I was out in the woods a few weeks ago." Shawn lifts up his pant leg to reveal the gauze covered wound. "I guess it hadn't taken much priority because I never really cleaned it and now it's pretty badly infected."

"Well let me take a look at it, then." Dr. Clark carefully peels away the bandage and examines the wound.

"Looks like you've got a staph infection." Dr. Clark explains. "It doesn't appear to be too bad. It looks like it has broken though the skin and gotten into your bloodstream so I would like to run some various tests on your other vital organs like your lungs, heart, blood, nervous system and some simple bone and joint examinations to make sure everything is working properly. The thing about staph infections is if they're not properly treated then they can lead to serious problems with other organs. I'm also going to prescribe methicillin as treatment for the infection which will be taken orally twice a day. Hopefully it isn't a resistant staph infection and the medicine will clear it up but if you still have symptoms in two weeks you'll need to come back in and we'll have to do some more serious work to get rid of the infection."

Shawn looks like a deer in the headlights with all the information he's just been given. I stand up quietly from my seat and stand next to Shawn by the table. I wrap my arm around his shoulders. I lay my free hand comfortingly on Shawn's thigh. The doctor excuses himself to get the nurses to prepare the tests.

"I'm scared." Shawn whispers quietly, looking down at his hands which he's wringing nervously in his lap.

"They'll be able to get rid if it." I tell Shawn confidently.

"Should have listened to you."

"That doesn't matter now."

I give him a kiss on the cheek as the doctor renters the room. I return to my seat and the doctor asks Shawn to remove his shirt. Shawn pulls it off and tosses it over to me. I know this is a serious matter but I can't help but let my eyes skim over his toned chest. The doctor takes his stethoscope and listens to Shawn's heart and lungs.

"Your heart and lungs sound fine. Any problems breathing or doing any kind of physical exercise lately?" The doctor asks, replacing the stethoscope to it's original position around his neck.

"No."

The doctor pulls out the rubber hammer and taps on some of Shawn's joints. The doctor reports his reflexes as normal and then does some other simple tests for movement. A few minutes later a nurse enters with a cart. The doctor excuses himself to see another patient.

"Hi, I'm Cathy and I'm going to be drawing your blood today." She's says cheerily. She pulls a pair of gloves out of the box and removes and rubber strap and ties it around Shawn's bicep.

"You're drawing b-blood?" Shawn stutters. He looks over at me with worried eyes. I make my way towards him and take his free hand in mine, intertwining our fingers in attempts to calm him down. I know Shawn has a fear of needles and right now is no exception. Frankly he has a fear of going to the doctors in the first place. It just kind of seems to stress him out.

The nurse pulls out a cleaning wipe from the cart along with a small piece of gauze and a band aid. Shawn watches as she pulls the plastic tube out and labels it with a permanent marker. She attaches the tube and needle to the plastic container before setting it aside. She wipes off the inside of his elbow with the sterile cloth and looks at Shawn to make sure he's ready.

"Just do it quickly." He tells her, sucking in a breath and closing his eyes. I squeeze his hand hard as the nurse inserts the needle into his arm. He opens his eyes and looks down at me.

"Breathe." I remind him. He nods his head and let's out the breath he's been holding.

"Done." The nurse says, placing the gauze where the injection was and folding Shawn's elbow. She throws the needle and tube into the sharps disposal bin and puts the tube of blood into the holder on her cart. She puts the strip of tape on Shawn's arm to hold the gauze in place.

"I'm going to put the blood sample into the lab right away and we should let you know the results within a half hour." Shawn politely thanks her as she exits the room, leaving just the two of us. He wraps his arm around my shoulders and pulls me into his side. He's quite a bit taller than me considering he's sitting up on the table. He kisses me on the temple and let's out a deep breath.

"Thank you for being here with me." He murmurs quietly in my ear, his lips just centimeters away.

"I care about you, Shawn, a lot." I say, mirroring his words that he said to me when we first moved into the house. I can feel his lips curl into a smile from their place still pressed to the side of my head.

"Good, because I'm in love with you."

•••

Hope you guys liked the update! This is originally posted on tumblr so you can read it/follow me there if you want!

Holy-Johnson.tumblr.com

Thanks guys!

Del xx