Orginal Work | Stucky | Barnes and Nobel

Scrolling through Tumblr, saw this and couldn't skip the opportunity (picture above) Also I suck at writing so sorry for the awful story.

Steve Rogers and Bucky Barnes were an interesting pair. Everyone knew that they were in love, but they chose to never admit it to each other. Natasha bets it's got something to do with the culture of the 40s, while Clint suspects that they are just in denial, and often mutters under his breath "don't deny the bi" as Steve walks past. While everyone is praying to God to let these two get together, Tony Stark understands that God won't listen. It's not really his business to start a relationship, but its suffocating to see Steve and Bucky pretend to be herto bros™ in front of each other. One day, Tony snaps; he was going to take matters into his own hands.

~

"Hey, Nobel," Tony called to Steve during a lunch meeting with the Avengers. Everyone looks at him, utterly confused. Who was 'Nobel?'
"Uh, Tony, are you okay?" Natasha asked.
"Yeah. I'm tryin' to ask Steve something," Tony reassures. He waits a moment before trying again. "Hey, Nobel!" He yelled.
"Are you talking to me, Stark?" Steve questioned, his attention turning away from his book.
"Yeah, Nobel, I am. Where's Barnes?" Tony asked. He's glad Steve hasn't caught on yet; he wouldn't be able to this early in the plan, as Bucky's last name happens to be Barnes as well.
  "Uh, at the moment, I think he's in the shower," Steve stammers, clearly confused. Tony smirked.
  "Thanks, Steve," he chimes, before promptly starting up the meeting as planned. Clint gave him a confused look, and all Tony could do was smile like a fool.

~

  "Hey, Nobel, you're on in two," Stark whispered to Steve as he prepared for his speech.
"Okay, is this weird, Tony. Are you..on something I'm not aware of?" Steve asked.
"Me? Drugs? Nobel, you know me. I'm not into that kind of those things," Tony defends. Before Steve can counter, his cue is up. He sighs and makes his way up to the cameras and podium. Tony smiled as Steve tried to rebound from their encounter. Suddenly, Tony felt another body next to him.
  "So, what's up with the nickname, Mr.Stark?"
  Peter Parker.
  "Oh," Tony sighed, though in mischief. "You know the book store Barnes and Nobel, right?"
  "Yeah," Peter confirmed.
  "Well, Bucky's last name is Barnes; Steve's Captain America. And, you know..." Stark trails off.
  "No, I don't," Peter questions. Then, it clicked. "Oh! Cause Captain America's a novel person! Oh!" Peter practically shouted. Tony's eyes widened and he covered Peter's mouth.
"Shh, Peter!" He whispered. "Look, you wana get in on the joke?" Peter nods. "Okay. Call Steve 'Nobel' from time to time, and Bucky 'Barnes', okay?"
"Why?"
"God Peter, have you seen the two of them? The..uh-"
"The sexual tension is to much? I'm almost 17, Tony,"
"True. Anyway, you wanna get in on the joke? It's annoying the hell out of Steve,"
  "Okay!" Peter says excitedly.

~

"Hey, Mr. Barnes!" Peter called after Bucky. This would be the first of many encounters for Bucky that concerned the joke. He looked over and smiled.
"Hey, kiddo! How are you?"
"I'm great, thank you! Have you seen Nobel?" Peter questioned.
"Um, who?"
"You know, Nobel,"
"No, I haven't. Are you okay?"
Peter shrugged before seeing Steve pass into the kitchen. "Oh, there he is! Thanks anyway, Barnes!"
Bucky watched as Peter raced to Steve. God, Peter was a strange one. Or, that's what he thought as he walked away; then he heard Steve yell 'not you too!', then Bucky knew something was up.

~

"So, you mind explaining to us why you keep calling Steve 'Nobel'?" Natasha asked one day. Steve and Bucky were out, buying new records for their record player (they got it from a tacky street seller, but it worked).
"What ever do you mean?" Tony asked innocently as he tinkered with the Iron suit.
"We mean, you and Peter have been calling Steve that for weeks, and not to mention you call Bucky only by his last name," Clint scoffed. "It's starting to get annoying."
"It's not a big deal," Peter shot back, though it was clear he was holding back laughter.
"I'm surprised you haven't gotten it, Nat," Dr.Banner said, passing by with a sandwich in a hand.
"Well, Bruce, do you have any idea why?" Natasha asked.
"Obviously it's because Tony's so tired of Steve and Buck's eye sex that he's using a nickname to set them up. Like the time he called you guys "black-hawk" for a solid month." Bruce dead-panned.
  Nat's face turned surprised, then angry. "Tony Stark!" She yelled, starting to run after the billionaire.
   "Someone help me!" Tony laughed as he tried climbing up the counters.
  "You're on your own, Stark," Bruce sighed, giving a side glance at Peter, who just gave an innocent smile.
  "Peter," he said sternly, and Peter kept smiling.
  "Mr.Banner is right, Natasha," Peter said, and Nat and Tony stopped fighting for a moment to look at him. "We are doing because of the Stucky eye sex,"
  "Stucky?" Clint asked as he entered the kitchen. "What about 'em?"
  "We're pulling a prank," Peter explained.
  "Oh the 'Barnes and Nobel' thing? I've been doing that with you and Stark for weeks now," he shrugged.
  "Really?" Tony asked, carefully moving off the counters, flinching when Nat moved he arm closer to him jokingly.
  "Yeah, it's funny to see their reactions," Clint smiles.
  "Well I for one am not going to annoy Steve," Natasha said.
  Natasha gave in a day later.
  "I want in," she reluctantly said to Tony.
  "Really? What happened to 'not annoying Steve'?" He smirked. He could hear snickering from the couch.
  "Shut up Stark, I'm just tired of the sexual tension,"
  "Alright, alright. The joke is, Steve is all novel and shit, right? And Barnes..well, you get that. So we're calling them that because...because..Peter, explain in your generation's terms why were doing this," he asked Peter. "This version sounds cooler," he added.
  "Because, in a way, it's their ship name,"
  "Oh, neat," Natasha said. "So, I can start whenever I want?"
  "Yep,"
  "Alright,"

~

  Steve and Bucky were getting fed up with this "Barnes and Nobel' crap. At first, the two were confused as to why everyone kept calling them that.
  "No one calls me by my last name anymore," Bucky has stated.
  Of course, it was only when Steve visited the bookstore giant did it finally click. Barnes and Nobel. Of course! He called Bucky, standing in the middle of the parking lot to explain.
  "It's because your last name is Barnes, and I'm pretty sure they're calling me Nobel because of chivalry of something," he told Buck.
  Of course, once hey figured it out, they approached the one who stared the mess: Tony Stark.
  "Stark, can we have a moment?" Steve asked, seemingly out of blue. Tony looked over and smiled.
  "Sure thing, Nobel,"
  It was hard for Steve not to get pissed as they walked into the Avengers' tower meeting room. There, Bucky say waiting in one of the chairs.
  "Tony,"
  "Barnes," Tony turned to Steve. "Why'd you call me here?" He asked, clearly knowing why they called him here.
  "The nicknames. We know what they mean," Steve sighed. Tony only shrugged and sat on the table.
"Whatever do you mean?" He questioned innocently.
  "Tony, the names. Barnes and Nobel. It's to pick fun, right?" Bucky asked, but t was more of a confrontation.
  "Look, everyone on the team is sick of your sexual tension. It's messing up the groove, you know? So I'll stop calling you guys those names when you finally do the Devil's Tango. Got it?" Tony asked before walking nonchalantly out the door.

~

  The name calling stopped after another month. Steve finally asked Bucky out. It wasn't really because of the nicknames, though. He'd been meaning to do so, but was terrified on how to approach it. But, after Bucky said yes, Tony and Peter (along with the rest of the team) slowly stopped calling them "Barnes and Nobel", and switched to the occasional "Stucky".