(Preview) - Chapter 1

Author note: Hi guys! This is the first time I've ever posted my writing online!

This is a short excerpt of Chapter 1 of my Sky Seekers Series. It is still an absolute baby draft so please go easy on my messy writing. I will definitively be rewriting and building onto it in the future.

If you enjoy this excerpt, let me know if you want to see more! It all depends on you guys if you want me to continue the story or not!

Anyway, I hope you enjoy this crazy ride!

- E

_________________________________________________

3017

Siren City, NEW AMERICA.

MARS.

'So let me get this straight. You want me to travel across the galaxy in search for an ancient "Orb" artifact that holds unprecedented power, risk my life to steal it from a clan of savage extraterrestrials, and bring it back to you?'

The Darnothian leader doesn't seem to register my disbelief. He stands taller than the two guards by his shoulders and towers over me by at least a foot. He's not visibly armed but the others cradle huge plasma rifles. 'Is that a problem?' His voice is so deep it feels more like a vibration than a sound.

Yes. Yes it's a problem. They're asking way too much.

I realise that I've walked us into the wrong job.

This isn't a delivery job, it's a hunting job. And you guessed it, I'm just the delivery boy.

For the most part, my job is easy. My partner Drake and I are hired directly from bounty hunters themselves. The hunters do the heavy lifting to get a client's item, and they pay me to collect the delivery from them once they reach New-S, then I take the package to its owner and get the glory for hunting it while the real hunter remains anonymous and avoids any face-to-face confrontation with their employer. It's a win-win arrangement, considering it's not rare for bounty hunters to be killed by their employer after they've returned the bounty in person. But in my experience, no one shoots the delivery boy.

But the Darnothian leader is no bounty hunter passing me a delivery. He's asking me to hunt something for him.

I've never worked with Darnothians before, and like with any meeting for a Black Market deal, I keep my guard up. I'm not racist by any means, but Darns don't exactly carry the reputation of being the most peaceful immigrants to Mars. Aside from their midnight-blue skin, they're Human in appearance. But they're huge. And even their women have muscles on their muscles. If it comes down to fighting my way out of this situation, there is no question as to who would come out alive.

I choose my words carefully. 'Actually, Mr Stenek, I think that's a little out of my team's range of experience.'

I should have known ten million units was too good of a deal for a simple delivery job. I'm not here for an intergalactic quest. I'm here getting paid to pretend I've been through an intergalactic quest. Seems like Drake accepted this job for me without realising what it really entailed. Why would this Darn request a delivery boy to do the job?

Stenek folds those huge arms across his chest. 'No other bounty hunter in the Solar System wishes to accept the job. They claim it's too dangerous. They referred me to you. Your reputation precedes you, Skyler Locke. They told me you're greatly experienced at retrieving items of value. They also told me you have a debt to pay.'