I wanted to take Isabella to the Santa Monica pier for our first date, but since we lived in Oakland, it would require an entire plane ride to get there. So instead we walked around downtown Oakland, where all the tourists went because honestly every other part of Oakland is shitty.

I had met Isabella only a few days earlier. She was sitting on a stone step downtown playing her guitar and singing. Her voice was like honey.

I was watching her for only a couple of minutes when she looked up and asked if I was going to ask her out or continue to stare at her like a creep.

Isabella was so beautiful. She had long, silky black hair that would lighten with a reddish hue in the summertime. Her olive skin was even and smooth; her lips were large and full. She was everything I ever could've asked for.

"So where are you from?" Isabella asked me as we walked through the city hand in hand.

"Pennsylvania," I replied. "I went to Penn State."

She looked at me sideways. "Why'd you move to Oakland? It is extremely expensive to live here."

"I know," I said smiling. "But I got a job offer from a friend that required me to move out to California."

"Don't tell me you work at a dispensary," she laughed. 

I shrugged. "I could probably get you discounted weed."

We had stopped walking by then for no particular reason. We stood in front of each other, with only inches between us. A beautiful smile played on her lips. 

"Whatever you do, I'm glad it brought you here. To me."

And then I kissed her.

-

"Madison." A hand tugged on my arm. "You need to get out of your head."

I turned to look at Jazmin. "I know. It's hard."

Jazmin stood up and reached out a hand to me. "Well you didn't ask me to hang out so we could sit around and feel bad for you all day. Come on."

I grabbed her hand and let her help me up. Our hands lingered on each other's for a moment too long; we were standing too close. I took a step back.

I cleared my throat to break the awkward silence. "What are we doing?"

Jazmin flicked her eyes downward as she shifted uncomfortably. "We're going to a party."

I let Jazmin drag me to a party full of people I had never met. The house where the party was held wasn't filled to the brim with people, and I was thankful for that. Big crowds would just be plain awful. 

"Who's party is this again?" I asked, scratching the back of my neck. 

Jazmin and I stepped out of her car.

"Brian. I work with him." Jazmin's eyes glinted with an unmistakable look.

"You like him, don't you?" I asked.

I could tell I hit the nail right on the head when she turned away and blushed. "He barely even knows I exist."

"Well, he invited you to his party, didn't he? He must know who you are," I told her with an eyebrow raised. 

Jazmin exhaled nervously. "I guess."

We walked to the house together, and at the door a blond guy greeted us with a large smile on his face.

"Jazmin! I'm so glad you could make it!" He pulled Jazmin in for a hug, and it looked painfully friendly. 

"Hi, Brian. Is it okay if I brought a friend?" she asked, hardly meeting his eye. 

"Of course!" he smiled. "The more the merrier."

He led us into his home as he talked to Jazmin about something that sounded work related. When we were inside, he turned to the both of us. 

"Why don't I get you two some drinks?"

"That'd be great," Jazmin responded, shifting her weight from one foot to the other. 

As Brian walked away to get drinks, I stepped towards Jazmin. 

"What are you doing?" I exclaimed. 

"What do you mean?" she scowled. "I'm not doing anything."

"You are visibly nervous. Your nerves around him are making me nervous. Stop being nervous."

"I don't know what to say! Every time I look at the guy I feel like I'm going to throw up. I can't throw up all over the guy I like!"

"I'm going to throw up all over you if you don't stop. That whole thing made me feel actual physical pain," I told her, shaking my head.

Jazmin and I both caught sight of Brian heading back to us with two drinks in his hand. 

"Now's your time to fix it," I said, pushing her towards him.

"What do I say?" she yell-whispered at me. 

"We literally had a twenty minute conversation about cumulonimbus clouds during the car ride here. I'm sure you can think of something to say." 

As soon as I finished speaking, Brian had reached us, handing Jazmin and me both a drink. 

"I'm so sorry," he said looking at me, "I never introduced myself. I'm Brian." He held out his hand for me to shake. 

I looked at his outreached hand for a moment until I dragged my eyes back up to his face. "I'm Madison," I said.

Brian looked between me and Jazmin, completely unfazed that I rejected his handshake. "You her boyfriend?" he asked me.

Jazmin snorted. She patted my shoulder. "This boy is still getting over the last one."

I scowled at her. "It's been like three days," I said.

Jazmin shook her head. "Whatever. I'm going to go find Sara. And Madison...make some friends." She gave me a pointed look before disappearing into the crowd. 

I turned to Brian, who was still standing there for some reason. "Hi," I said awkwardly.

"You two good friends?" Brian asked me, staring in the direction that Jazmin walked away in.

"We met like three days ago, so, not really," I responded. 

"Oh," he said with a frown on his face.

"What?"

"I was hoping you could help me out," he admitted, ruffling his blond hair.

"With what?" 

"Jazmin." Brian looked down at his hands. "I like her, and I was hoping you could put in good word for me. But she's probably not into me."

I scoffed at the irony. "Just ask her out, see what happens."

Brian looked up at me. "Do you think she likes me?"

I looked Brian up and down. "Are you asking me if the girl who looks like she could've been a Black Panther in the 60's would like the white blond boy who looks like he majored in something stupid in college, like philosophy?" I shrugged. "She might. I think she might have a thing for white guys."

It was Brian's turn to look me up and down. "Are you saying she has a thing for you?"

I narrowed my eyes at the seemingly docile boy in front of me. "Did you miss the part where I got out of a serious relationship three days ago? Just go ask Jazmin out. And don't be afraid to be rejected, I'm sure there are plenty of girls who'll be willing to suck your dick."

"You're kind of an asshole, you know that?" Brian said.

"So I've heard," I replied as I pushed him in the direction of Jazmin, who was visibly chatting with a friend. "Now go ask her out and don't be awkward about it."

Brian walked towards Jazmin with no protests.