2

Just a disclaimer, I don't speak Spanish well. Any Spanish you find in this book will be from two sources: SpanishDict or a friend of mine who speaks the language. Please don't be offended if I'm inaccurate, just correct me. I'll use simple Spanish words so that the story is understandable for everyone.

**

I walked a step behind my two brothers as we entered our new school. Middle school. My only hope was that life would be different this year, that Nathan Nickson had forgotten about me, or lost interest in tormenting me. I just couldn't take the bullying anymore. I was too defenseless and afraid to protect myself.

"We got your back, Riley. Always," Ricky promised, grabbing my hand and pulling me in between himself and Ryan. Simply put, he was the smart one. He was the first one of us three to learn English; our primary language was Spanish. He was the first to read and solve Math problems. His academic skills were flawless. He received honors left and right, and was in the Talented & Gifted (TAG) program throughout elementary school. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't grasp the subjects like he could.

As for Ryan, he was smart but lazy. He was the popular one, always goofing around and making friends. He was outspoken, usually the winner in a verbal fight, so Nathan knew better than to tease him.

Therefore, he picked on me. The weak one. The dumb one. The shy one.

"He so much as breathes your air, I'll smash his face inward," Ryan threatened.

"But that's not possible. Nobody's that strong," I countered.

Ricky laughed to himself. "He's just exaggerating. It's like a hyperbole, as we learned in english class."

"What english class did you go to?" Ryan grimaced.

"Oh yeah. I think I read ahead. Or maybe I learned it in TAG. I can't remember; I've always known my literary elements."

"¡Santo cielo!" Ryan exclaimed. "Please don't lecture us; we already have seven hours to be tortured."

"Torture? Estas loco. School's the best thing that's happened to us. We receive food here. We learn here. It's my favorite time of the year, not Christmas like it is for the other kids."

Ryan frowned and crossed his arms. He knew our brother was right.

"We all have the same homeroom, so we can stick together," Ricky told me, trying to ease my anxious mind.

"Is he here?" I whispered.

"It's likely; I see a lot of familiar faces. It's a new school year, Riley. You don't have to be confident to appear so. Lift your head, stand up straight, and speak audibly."

"Speak what?" I asked for clarification.

"Audibly. Speak up."

I swallowed. That just made me want to shrink into myself all the more. I knew he was trying to help but how could any of that stop Nathan from coming after me?

"Make some friends," Ryan suggested with an encouraging smile.

"I can't!" I refused, wringing my hands. "He doesn't let me have friends."

"He's not the boss of you. And anyone would be lucky to be your friend."

"Lucky," I repeated the word, turning to Ricky. "What does that one mean?" I knew what it meant. I just wanted to know how he would define it.

"Doesn't matter." His face was as hard as a stone. "It's not something we've ever experienced anyway."

"Welcome to Cumberland Middle School!" A voice boomed from behind us. I knew it so well that it caused chills to rack down my spine from fear. I closed my eyes and let out an unsteady breath before we all turned around at the same time.