Chapter 1

"Antonia Melody Smith! You get down here this instant!" my mother called. I reluctantly walked down the stairs.
       "What, Susan?" I said. I let my long strawberry-blonde hair fall in front of my emerald green eyes. She lifted my chin.
       "I am your mother, you will address me as such!" she yelled.
       "You're not my real mom, I don't have to listen to anything you have to say!" I yelled back. She hit my arm with her spoon that she had in her hands. I hissed at the pain. I gripped my arm and glared at her.
        "I was kind enough to adopt you from that horrible place! Do you want to go back?!" she hollered.
       "Maybe that would be better than living here!" I stomped my foot and walked up the stairs.
       "Antonia!" she screamed. My dad walked in the door to my room.
       "Hey, Pumpkin." he said in a soothing voice. I was on my bed, facing the window.
       "Hey." I replied. I didn't like my mom, but I loved my dad.
       "You want to go back to the orphanage?" he asked.
       "I don't know." I held my head.
       "How about we run away?" he questioned. I looked at him, confused.
       "Where?" I inquired.
       "How about my hometown, Queens?" He looked at me hopeful.
       "Yes! I've always wanted to go there!" I exclaimed. I snatched clothes, shoes, everything and shoved them in my suitcase. I grabbed my Spider-Man collection and shoved it in my second suitcase. Yes, we even hear about Spider-Man here in Santa Barbara. Yes, I live in the same town as Psycic Shawn Spencer. He is actually my mom's brother. That is the one good thing about this foster family.
       "Dad, I have to say goodbye to Shawn." I told him. He was packing in his room.
        "Okay, Antonia." he looked at me and then went to his closet.
       "Dad, I've told you. Call me Toni." I told him. He grinned. I walked out the door and towards the Psych office. I went inside and saw Shawn and Gus at their desks. I remembered how much fun I had helping them with their cases. I knocked. They looked over at me.
       "Ah, Toni. Nice to see you." Gus walked over to me. I gave him a hug.
       "Toni, what's the matter? You seem sad." Shawn said. I hugged him too. My eyes started filling with tears.
       "I'm leaving." I stated.
       "Where are you going?" Gus asked.
        "Queens." I responded. I sniffed. They both keeled to meet my height.
       "Don't cry. You can call us anytime. Who's taking you?" Shawn told me.
       "My foster dad." I replied.
       "He will take good care of you, Toni. I promise." Gus stated. They both hugged me again. My dad was at the entrance.
       "Toni, time to go." he said. I sniffed again and waved to Shawn and Gus as I walked to the car. We got to the airport and went through security.
On the plane, I fell asleep. I was awoken by a hand shaking me awake.
       "Toni, we're here." my dad said. I opened my eyes and smiled. We walked off the plane and got our luggage. I was walking towards the door when I heard yelling.
       "Give me your money! Now! I know you have some!" someone in a mask yelled. They pointed a gun at the person. I watched in horror. The other person was my father.
        "Dad!" I screamed.
        "Toni, run. Once you are away, call Susan, Shawn, and Gus. Now go!" my dad called. My eyes filled with tears and I turned. I ran out the door, holding my suitcases. I stopped once I heard the deafining sound of a gunshot behind me. I looked back to see my dad's body tumble to the floor.  
       I watched the masked man run away, just as the police came. I placed my bags in a bush and dashed back to the airport. I rushed to my dad's side.
       "Dad, please don't leave me." I whispered. I started to cry. He put his hand on my face.
       "I wouldn't dream of it." he muttered. He closed his eyes.
       "Help! Help me! He was shot!" I yelled. Paramedics got there and put my dad on a bed. The raced to the ambulance and drove off at full speed. 
        I sobbed for what felt like ever. I got up and walked out of the airport, which was now a crime scene. I found my suitcases and started walking. I don't know where, but I was. I got out my phone and found my mom's number. I dialed it. A moment later, she picked up.
       "Antonia? Where are you, and where is your father?" She sounded stern.
       "I am in Queens. Dad brought me, but-" I started sobbing.
       "What is it?" she spat.
       "He was shot! Someone wanted his money!" I cried. The line hung up.
       "Susan?" I asked. No response. I pulled my phone away from my ear and called Shawn.
       "Toni, what's wrong? You are on speakerphone by the way." Shawn answered the phone.
       "We got here to Queens, and in the airport, there was a man in a mask. He had a gun and was telling my dad to give him his money. He told me to run and call Susan and you guys. I ran out the door and I heard a gunshot." I told them.
        "So, did you get a hold of your mom?" Gus asked.
        "Yeah, she hung up on me. She doesn't care. I went back inside and my dad had been shot. I have no where to go." I stated.
       "Gus, head to the airport! We are coming to Queens, Toni. I know someone who can take care of you until we get there. I'll give him a call. Goodbye, Toni." Shawn hung up and I sat on the curb. I watched cars go by. I wiped away the tears that fell down my face.