[16] Malfoy Manor

"A handsome manor house grew out of the darkness at the end of the straight drive, lights glinting in the diamond-paned downstairs windows. Somewhere in the dark garden beyond the hedge a fountain was playing..."

—Description of the manor.

***

INTRODUCTION:

Malfoy Manor is the home of the wealthy pure-blood Malfoy family, located in Wiltshire, England. It was mainly used as the base of operations for Lord Voldemort and the Death Eaters during the Second Wizarding War, much to the immense discomfort of Lucius, Narcissa, and Draco Malfoy.

FOUNDING:

Like many other progenitors of noble English families, the wizard Armand Malfoy arrived in Britain with William the Conqueror as part of the invading Norman army. Having rendered unknown, shady, (and almost certainly magical) services to King William I, Malfoy was given a prime piece of land in Wiltshire, seized from local landowners, upon which his descendants have lived for ten consecutive centuries.

MALFOY FAMILY CREST AND MOTTO:

The family crest pays homage to Salazar Slytherin, bearing the colors black, green and silver, as well as images of several serpentine creatures. The Latin words Sanctimonia Vincet Semper appear inscribed on a silver banner, meaning Purity Will Always Conquer.

 The Latin words Sanctimonia Vincet Semper appear inscribed on a silver banner, meaning Purity Will Always Conquer

NOTES FROM THE ADMINS:

•After the Battle of Hogwarts and Lord Voldemort's defeat, the Manor was once more in the control of the Malfoys, though Lucius died sometime between 2007 and 2020, at which point the estate became home to Draco Malfoy and his wife and son, Astoria and Scorpius Malfoy.

•J. K. Rowling has stated that there was a deleted scene, which was to take place either in Chamber of Secrets or Goblet of Fire, in which Draco Malfoy would be shown talking to fellow Slytherin Theodore Nott in the gardens of Malfoy Manor. Rowling said that she really liked the scene:

"Firstly because it showed the Malfoys' home, and the difference between the place where Draco has grown up and number four, Privet Drive; then because we rarely see Draco talking to anybody he considers a real equal, and he is forced to see Theodore as such, because Theodore is just as pure-blooded as he is, and somewhat cleverer. Together these two Death Eaters' sons discuss Dumbledore's regime at Hogwarts and Harry Potter, with all sorts of stories that the Death Eaters tell about how this baby boy survived the Dark Lord's attack."

•In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1, the exterior scenes of Malfoy Manor were shot at Hardwick Hall.

•Considering that Abraxas Malfoy was still alive when Lucius resided in the manor with his wife and son, and Draco likewise took over the ownership of it and lived there with his wife and son, while both Lucius and Narcissa were still alive, it is possible that the ownership of the Manor is passed on from parent to child when the latter in adult age is to marry and have a family of his/her own. If this is the case, the Malfoys have a presumably somewhat smaller property into which they move.