Just Another Day

It was mid morning with the sun nearly directly overhead as Maddie, a Ranger in training, shot her fifth set of five shots using her sling. Another perfect score, she thought. Going to retrieve her lost projectiles, something in her warned her of danger.  

Loading her sling once more, she called out, "Who's there?" Maddie circled the clearing slowly, waiting for something to happen. A moment later a lone rider emerged from the trees. The man, she saw, looked utterly exhausted. Walking closer, Maddie recognized her father. "Dad!" she exclaimed, putting her weapon away and running towards him. "What happened?" He answered her, a note of urgency in his voice, "I need help, a Ranger's help. And I trust Will with my life." 

"Go inside," Maddie said, "I'll attend to your horse." Nodding his thanks, Horace dismounted and headed for the little cabin nestled in a glade. After she settled Kicker in the lean to Maddie went to the cabin. When Maddie came in she stopped to hang up her cloak and set aside her bow and arrows. 

"Will's out for now," she said at last, "but let's see if I can help. What's the problem?" Horace took a few minutes to gather his thoughts. Finally he said, "Gilan has been getting reports about strange things going on all over the Kingdom, especially Redmont. However, those reports are becoming more and more frequent." Horace paused a moment. "When the Corps realized that the majority of this problem is in Redmont they began to fear for your safety."

Maddie thought for a moment, chewing her lip out of habit then replied, "I can understand that. In reality I'm really the Crown Princess after all. As for what has been going on, well, me and Will are extremely perplexed. Now, I need to go see Halt since Will isn't here and talk this over with him." At the door she turned back, asking her father, "Well? You coming?" 

Horace smiled and nodded, donning his coat. "Right behind you." he answered.

For Maddie, it was just another day as an apprentice.