H2 {} Away

A/N; I'm sorry, but I'm skipping the scene where Hagrid picks up Harry at the Dursleys. It just got so boring after trying to write it, and I've seen it so many times in these books, so this scene takes place the morning that Harry and Hagrid leave.

Knock knock.

"Stupid girl, get your arse out of bed and get yourself together! There's a woman coming that wants to meet you. Maybe if I'm lucky, you'll be adopted."

Y/N shot out of bed. She hated the caretaker, Ms. Perriman. She treated Y/N like a slave, forcing her to do the majority of the chores around the orphanage. She never bothered to learn her name, always calling her "stupid girl" or "worthless scum." Then again, everyone called her that. All of the children in the orphanage hated her. There wasn't a living creature that enjoyed her company. Even the plants wilted when she walked by. She was usually quiet, not speaking unless it was absolutely necessary.

But then she met Harry.

She couldn't get her mind off of him. He was kind to her, the only person that was ever kind to her. He made her believe that maybe she wasn't a freak. Maybe she could've had a friend.

But that was over a year ago, and she hadn't seen him since the Dudley Incident (which is what she called it in her head. She wasn't the most creative girl, but she got the point across), much to her disappointment. She wondered if that moment was even remotely special to Harry, because it meant the world to her.

This was her chance at freedom. Nobody had ever wanted to adopt her, she was never good enough. Y/N quickly changed into her nicest outfit (which was a baggy t-shirt and some ripped leggings, but it was all that she had) and made sure that she looked presentable in the bathroom.

She stared out of her window into the summer sun as she waited for Mrs. Perriman to call her downstairs. This was her favorite pastime, as she liked to dream that there was a magical place far away from here, where she could live amongst otherworldly creatures without a care in the world.

Just then, Ms. Perriman shouted for her to come down, snapping Y/N out of her trance and sending her practically running down the stairs. When she got to the adoption room, she quietly stood in the doorway and observed the woman who sat in a chair facing Ms. Perriman and the door. The woman wore emerald green robes that fit her snugly. She had spectacles that were perched on the end of her nose. A black, pointed hat sat on top of her grey hair. Her lips were taut into a thin line, making her seem slightly intimidating. When her bright, green eyes landed on Y/N, her lips stretched into a small smile, making her look more motherly than strict.

The woman's gaze made Ms. Perriman look behind her and spot Y/N. The caretaker made a face of disgust when she spotted the timid girl, scowling at her in a way that was so gruesome and terrifying that Y/N looked down at the floor to avoid her stare.

"There's the little wretch. Get in here, you ungrateful brat." Y/N followed Ms. Perriman's command while never taking her eyes off of the ground. "Sit in that chair. You're lucky that someone took an interest in you."

Y/N kept her head down, believing what the caretaker told her. The woman next to her, however, came to her defense.

"Well, I happen to know that Y/N will accomplish more in a year than you will in your whole life, Ms. Perriman."

Y/N looked up at the woman sat beside her. No adult had ever stood up for her. She looked over at her caretaker, observing her shocked expression.

"Well, I'm sure that you'll disagree once you get to know her a bit better."

"I have no intention of getting into an argument with you, Ms. Perriman. I would like some time with her alone, please."

Ms. Perriman looked angry and surprised at the same time. She nodded at the woman and walked out of the room, shutting the door behind her. The woman smiled down at Y/N, who smiled back, albeit cautiously.

"Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Professor Mcgonagall, and I am here to adopt you."

751 words

A/N: Hello! I'm back. Just a quick warning that I will be skipping the explanation about Hogwarts, and will be going straight to Diagon Alley in the next chapter. If you have any questions, I will be happy to answer them in the comment section or through PM. See ya later, lovelies!!