Chapter 4 - Eric

"Have you ever seen a sunset, Edward?" Eric asked distantly.

Edward looked up from the work on his desk. His eyes were tired, he hadn't slept either. His hair was untidy and he needed to shave. He was wearing the same clothes he wore yesterday, and the day before. The office was cold. The empty hearth was covered in a layer of ash and dust. The dry paper scratched between the Duke's fingers as he considered the question.

"I don't think I have, your grace." He replied.

Eric continued to stare out of the window. He could see everything; the city, the people. His eyes saw the birds perched on the rooftops, and the core burning in the sky. He saw the Haast Eagles with their riders, flying through the air.

"A sunrise? The Moon?" He asked. "Have you seen the stars, my lord?"
Edward sighed and rubbed the sleep from his eyes.

"A shame, really." Eric continued. "Father would speak for hours about the way the sun painted the sky with colours. About how the reds and oranges would light up the pale blue. It would make quite the painting, don't you think?"

"Yes, your grace." Edward replied distantly.

Eric turned his attention from the window and regarded the Duke carefully. He was hurting.

Eric turned his attention back to the city outside. He was upset, sure. His father had recently passed. He would miss the memory of him, the laughs and tears that they had shared. But he didn't feel distraught. He didn't feel the sadness he knew he should feel.
Not pain, anger, hurt or even resent. He felt nothing, his mind was a canvas, on which the only paint was the black of bitterness.
There was a knock on the door, and a servant entered the room.

"My lord, your grace." He said bowing. "Lord Demetrius has sent me to summon you, sirs."

"Thank you." Edward said, nodding. "You may leave."

Once the messenger had left, the Duke quickly threw on his ceremonial robes.

"We've been summoned." Eric said humorously.

"Eric." He said as he fixed his hat, ignoring the remark. "Shall we go?"
Eric nodded and drew in his power. He put his hand on Edward's shoulder and instantly they vanished.
They appeared at the base of the citadel, among a crowd of silent people. A decorated cart with an open carriage waited just beyond the gates, with Demetrius on the helm. In the back was the body of his father, covered in the flag of house Aranor; the ancient blue and black Tui. His features were calm and relaxed, his hair had been brushed.

Eric and the Duke slowly made their way across the courtyard to the gates, aware of the entire palace watching him. He bowed first to his late father, and then his uncle before taking a seat. Edward did the same. Demetrius nodded, and kicked the Moa into motion. Slowly the carriage traveled through the city.

People in the thousands lined the streets. Everywhere he looked, faces looked back. The people covered the pavement, and watched from balconies. Youth, elderly, men and women. He felt very proud of his city in that moment. He was happy that so many had shared the love for his father as he had, and had come to pay their respects. Yet, in the presence of so many people, in the middle of the Kingdom's busiest city, the only sound to be heard was that of the carriage wheels as they rattled against the cobbles.
This was love. This was respect.

They appeared in a forest, outside the city walls. Ancient kauri stood tall and guarded the glade. On their branches, hundreds of little black birds with white puffs below their beaks sang beautiful songs to the wind. He felt the warmth of the Core on his face, and he smiled.

Demetrius and Talya stood next to a small stone in the centre of the clearing. Talya's eyes were red and swollen, but she stood tall below the branches. She looked over to where Eric was approaching, her blue eyes shone like ice.