| 11 |

_______

L E B E N S I N H A L T

(n.) purpose in life.

________

"I HATE plane rides," Lily gritted out through her teeth as her hand clenched around Natasja's. "Just hate them. Passionately."

"Do you mind if I ask why?" Natasja asked softly.

The plane rumbled and Lily scrunched her eyes shut before answering. "My parents died in a plane crash. My dad was going to bring back broadway tickets. You know, the typical sob story." She tried to sound nonchalant about it, but nothing could sound calm with the amount of nervousness and tinge of grief in her voice.

Natasja held both of Lily's shaking hands and tried to get her mind off the flight. She briefly remembered Kael doing the same thing with her fear of dark and closed spaces.

"You like broadway?"

"I love broadway," Lily beamed despite her fear. "I wanna see one of their shows before I turn 22." She turned around to check if anybody was listening before leaning in to Natasja to whisper, "I've always wanted to join broadway. Like the acting and singing and stuff."

"They'd hire you in a heartbeat." Natasja had absolutely no doubt. In the short time she had known Lily, she saw her determination and genuine passion in acting, music, and books. She was one of the smartest people Natasja had ever met, and was convinced she could do anything she put her stunning mind into.

"Thank you, Nat." Lily smiled at her, the kind that realized what she had done and appreciated her for it. "I know this sounds a bit sappy, but I'm so grateful I met you in the Academy."

Natasja smiled, her heart realizing as well that Lily was the first true friend she had ever had. She moved around so much she never allowed herself time and effort to get to know anyone enough to be called their acquaintances, much less a friend. They were all too busy with their luxurious life to notice anyway. But with Lily, Natasja had absolutely nothing to hide, and something in her gut told her she could trust her.

She made a silent promise to herself to get Lily tickets to broadway.

Kael and Aspen were seated at the back, along with two of the Maddox brothers. Zeus and Psy stayed back in the mansion to continue training the rest. Natasja had insisted that Lily come along; she just needed someone she was sure about.

When she had announced the news to Kael the night before, the tall woman had been hesitant. She was a bit too prideful for Natasja to be paying for everything, but after constant reassurance from the billionaire heiress, she finally caved in. Despite her hesitance and apprehension, Natasja could tell she wanted so badly to get her sight back. And a few hours later they were air-bound for Washington, D.C..

As soon as they landed, they were escorted to the back of the airport, where two black cars were waiting. And in just a few minutes, they were in front of the building that would change the rest of Kael's life.

"I still can't believe this is happening," Kael mumbled so quietly you would think she was talking to herself, if it weren't for her hand's gentle pressure on Natasja's arm.

Natasja wordlessly held her hand as they walked through the doors.

"Red Sparrow." Natasja said lowly to the receptionist, smiling widely.