The Avengers' Laundry •Bucky•

Laundry is annoying enough on its own. Folding fitted sheets? A nightmare. But when your laundry consists of superhero uniforms, it's a whole other level of frustration.

However, when your boyfriend is one of those superheroes, and he's away on a 3-day mission that somehow extended itself to 2 weeks, and you're bored, missing him, and going slightly crazy... laundry seems like a decent option.

It was fine at the beginning. The mission wasn't too big a deal; only Steve, Bucky, and Sam were needed. Tony went along as backup, after I promised to keep an eye on his lab and the Avengers tower. Nat was off on a project with Fury, Vision and Wanda were on a vacation, and Peter (who didn't actually live with us at the Tower) had finals at school. Oh and Clint was home with his family for a little while.

That left me and FRIDAY, echoing around a pretty empty tower. And the first three days were great. I cooked whatever I wanted and no one ate my leftovers; I watched my favorite movies without anyone interrupting, offering commentary, or complaining; I trained without fear of people watching me; I made some upgrades to FRIDAY's operating system without Tony's relentless input. But on the morning of the fourth day, Bucky called.

"Hey sweetheart."

"Bucky!" I hadn't looked at caller ID before answering, so his voice was a pleasant surprise. "Hi love. How's it going? Are you on your way home?"

He sighed. "Actually... that's why I'm calling."

"What's wrong?" I got a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach. "Are you okay? Is it Tony?"

"No, no," he quickly reassured me. "We're all fine, including your annoying-ass brother."

I heard Tony's voice in the background, saying something about my "metal-ass boyfriend". "It's my arm that's metal, not my ass, Iron Boy," Bucky called back to him.

"And thank goodness," I giggled. "Because I like your ass just the way it is."

"I know you do, doll," Bucky laughed. "Anyway, I'm calling because our mission is going to take longer than we thought. The Hydra files we're after weren't stored at this base, after all. We've gotta check a few other places."

My heart sank. "Oh. How much longer?"

Tony's voice came through again. "Long enough for you to undo whatever you've tinkered with in FRIDAY's system, sis." I heard Bucky shove him away. "Maybe two weeks," he answered.

"Oh," I said again. That would be a few days past our anniversary - 1 year of dating - and we'd talked about celebrating it somehow.

He heard the disappointment in my voice. "I know, sweetheart. We had plans... I promise I'll make it up to you, okay?"

Thus, my 'solitary confinement' at the tower continued. And I got bored enough to tackle a mountain of laundry from everybody. Except Clint, who'd taken his home, and Sam. I wouldn't touch Sam's underwear with a ten-foot pole. So there I was, on the day of my anniversary, without my boyfriend, doing laundry. Awesome.

As I hung up one of Steve's jackets to dry, my phone chimed with a text message.

Bucky: I miss you baby
Bucky: Your brother is driving me crazy

Me: I believe it 😂 That's what he's good at
Me: I miss you too, so much
Me: Happy anniversary love ❤️

Bucky: Happy anniversary beautiful. ❤️ I can't imagine what my life would be like right now without you. And I can't wait to show you just how much I love you, when I get home

Me: Oooohhh me neither ;)
Me: Can't wait to kiss you, soldier

I slid my phone into my pocket and finished hanging a couple shirts, then headed up to my room. Just as the elevator reached my floor, FRIDAY spoke.

"I've received a message from Mr. Barnes, miss. He says you should go to the hangar. There's a surprise waiting for you."

A stupid grin spread across my face. Even from miles away, he was being romantic. God I loved him.

I hurried down to the hangar and stopped short in the doorway, my jaw dropping in shock. There was the Quinjet, with Steve walking towards me. Tony stood a few feet away, wiping his glasses, and Sam waved at me from a bench against the wall. And standing by the jet, his back leaning against the ramp support, hands in his pockets...

"Bucky!" I cried. I ran across the room.

"I guess we're just chopped liver in comparison, Tony," Steve chuckled. Tony rolled his eyes.

As I got closer to Bucky, he grinned at me, pulling his hands out of his pockets. "Got a kiss for your soldier?"

I jumped into his arms, wrapping my legs around his waist, kissing all over his face. But the moment was quickly interrupted by Sam.

"Girl, you did everybody's laundry but mine? I'm so hurt!"

Bucky shook his head and just continued kissing me, as Sam groaned and walked off.

"Welcome home, soldier," I whispered.