Helpless •Sebastian•

Brought to you by my obsession with Hamilton. You're welcome. This idea just jumped into my brain and screamed at me to write it. Listen to the song while you read! And please vote & comment to let me know what you think. I'd love to hear any ideas that you'd like to see me write. I know I've written mostly fluff so far, but prepare for some real angst ahead...

* * * * * *

"I'm helpless," I sang, energetically, throwing my arms up. "Look into your eyes, and the sky's the limit."

My boyfriend came around the corner, laughing softly at the sight of me dancing around the kitchen. "How'd your audition go?" he asked, leaning against the countertop.

I'd been auditioning for several roles lately, after finishing a run of Cinderella on Broadway. I graduated from Juilliard 6 years ago, and the role of one of the evil stepsisters was my first big breakthrough. Being in the ensemble was always a lot of fun, but I was ready for bigger things, so I'd bravely auditioned for Hamilton a week or so ago (among other things).

I went to turn the music down a bit, then faced Sebastian again. "I think it went well. It felt good, anyway. You know those casting people, they have such poker faces. But they were really nice to me."

"Good," he said firmly. "Be positive about it. If nothing else happens, at least you got the experience of the audition. That can't hurt, right?"

"Right." I nodded, but sighed.

He came around the counter & wrapped me up in a bear hug. "Don't sigh; you'll always be MY Eliza, even if you aren't Broadway's Eliza."

I giggled at his cheesiness, but settled into his arms. "Okay, Bucky." I didn't have to look at him to know he was rolling his eyes.

* * * * * *

One week later, when I was walking through Times Square, my pocket vibrated. I fumbled for my phone, & hurried to answer without looking at the screen.

"Hello, y/n speaking," I said quickly.

"Hey y/n," said a familiar voice. Anne, my talent agent.

"Oh, hi Anne. What's up?" I jogged across the street before the light changed, waving at the hot dog vendor.

"I have something important to tell you," Anne said, in her serious Agent Voice.

I stopped by a jewelry shop window, & my heart sank into my shoes. "Oh no... What happened?"

"You know that audition for the new Hamilton company, a week or so ago?"

"Yeah," I said nervously. "Did they hate me? Crap, I knew I shouldn't have tried to sing Helpless without any backup. Why did you let me do that? I should have gone with Burn, or Satisfied for that matter, as Angelica, or..."

"Y/n, stop," Anne said exasperatedly. "Take a breath, honey."

I took a breath, and continued walking towards the coffee shop. "Okay, I'm calm. Tell me."

She still sounded serious. "They did call me, earlier today, and asked me to give you a message." She paused, and I wanted to scream. "They said they'd love to have you join the company, as Eliza Hamilton."

The earth stopped spinning. The billboards flashed off, the traffic sounds were silenced, my heart leapt up into my throat and starting beating a marimba. "You're kidding," I managed to whisper.

Anne laughed. "Nope, I'm really not! Congratulations, y/n!"

I could feel the rest of my senses returning, and I took a deep breath, surprised I still knew how to do that. Then I realized Anne was still talking.