➳ 𝚝𝚑𝚛𝚎𝚎

DAYLIGHT
CHAPTER THREE

THE SHOP HAD BEEN RELATIVELY QUIET for the day

THE SHOP HAD BEEN RELATIVELY QUIET for the day. Of course, a few odd people came in and out, shuffling through the selection of comics. Some bought things, others just walked in, looked around and left without a word. And then there'd be the occasional douchebag who caught a glance of me and just came in to flirt. But after last night, I wasn't in the mood to go on another date. Especially not with some jackass that only wants to get in my pants. I hadn't commented on it, but any time one of them decided to hit on me, Edgar and Alan shot them an intimidating glare and when he left, they'd say something that I couldn't quite hear and he'd quickly walk out.

It had been a fairly average day-at least until a certain blond boy walked in later that night. He had a strange taste in clothing, but then again, it was Santa Carla. I'd seen stranger than him. I cocked an eyebrow curiously, watching as he walked around the store. He was interesting-but not like most people in Santa Carla were. This boy seemed...different.

He wore a loud shirt that was pattered with many different colors underneath a long grey and white coat. I could immediately tell he wasn't from here-and it seemed like the brothers could tell too. The boy walked along the shelves of comics, lightly running his fingers over some of the plastic covers and picking up a few to look at.

Edgar appeared around the corner of the shelf with the stock binder in his hands, staring at the blond boy, curiously. The boy, who was flipping through a Spider-Man comic, looked up from it and caught Edgar's cold gaze. His eyes trailed from Edgar to Alan, who was on the opposite side of the store, also staring coolly at him. Slowly putting down the comic in his hands, he turned around to the register, where I sat, feet propped up on the counter next to the TV, where some random monster movie was playing. I smiled at him brightly and waved. He gave me a shy smile in return, but quickly turned his attention back to Edgar and Alan. He walked around the shelf and the boys walked towards him.

I sighed, knowing that they were going to torture this poor boy and hopped off the counter as the brothers approached him.

"Got a problem, guys?" The boy asked cautiously.

"Just scoping your civilian wardrobe," Edgar said

"Aw, come on guys. I think it's kinda cool," I said, causing the boy to grin at me.

"For a fashion victim," Alan muttered.

"Listen, buddy, if you're looking for the diet frozen yogurt bar, it went out of business last summer," Edgar said.

"Actually, I'm looking for a Batman #14," The boy said.

My eyes widened a little. We'd all been looking for a Batman #14 comic for a long time. It was supposedly one of the rarest comics ever and we'd never seen one before. Clearly, this kid was serious though.

"That's a very serious book, man," Edgar said.

"Only five in existence," Alan added.

"Four, actually," The boy said. "I'm always looking out for the other three."