➳ 𝚏𝚒𝚟𝚎

DAYLIGHT
CHAPTER FIVE

THE NEXT MORNING, SAM RAN UP TO US, talking a mile a minute before we'd even opened the shop

THE NEXT MORNING, SAM RAN UP TO US, talking a mile a minute before we'd even opened the shop. He was pretty awake and energized for it only being 8 a.m. I, on the other hand, was not. I'd hardly got any sleep the night before, with the thoughts of David running through my mind and nightmares of that night replaying in my head. I'd barely comprehended what he was telling us.

"So then, the dog started chasing my mom like the hounds of Hell in Vampires Everywhere!" Sam exclaimed as Edgar, Alan and I pushed back the doors of the shop, opening it up to the public.

"We've been aware that there's been some very serious vampire activity in this town for a long time." Edgar said.

"Santa Carla's become a haven for the undead." Alan said.

"As a matter of fact, we're almost certain that ghouls and werewolves occupy high positions at city hall." Edgar said as I helped him push the comic cart out into the doorway.

"Wouldn't be surprised if there were vampires in the White House." I said, taking a sip of coffee from my cup.

"Kill your brother. You'll feel better." Alan said with a small smile.

Sam looked at the three of us incredulously, eyebrows furrowed in confusion and mouth hung open.

"Look, guys, my brother's not a bloodsucker! Look, it says here that if you kill the head vampire, all half-vampires will return to normal." Sam explained.

"Yeah, I told you that last night, Sam." I said.

"Exactly! If my brother's a vampire, believe me; he's only half."

"Does your brother know who the head vampire is?"

"N-No, I don't think so." Sam said.

"Is it David?" I asked.

"I-I don't know." Sam said.

"Then you'll have to kill him." Edgar said. "And if you don't-" He paused to glance at me and Alan. "We will."

Sam sighed and looked down at the counter in thought for a moment before he perked up.

"This all started when my mom went to work at Max's video store." Sam said. "Max never comes in until after it's dark. The dog who chased my mom this morning was his. And listen to this! 'Vampires require a daytime protector, a guardian, to watch over them as they sleep, fierce dogs, the hounds of Hell are often employed for this purpose.'"

"No shit." Edgar said sarcastically.

"Yeah? Well, what happens if my mom is dating the head vampire?" Sam asked. "You guys can nail him and save Santa Carla. Truth, justice, the American way triumphs, thanks to you three."

"I don't care about glory." I said. "I just want David and his coven dead and gone forever."

"And they will be! All we have to do is find the Alpha." Sam said.