"Is daddy back yet?"

Waking up with a big smile on my face as I soon got bombarded with loads and loads of presents which my mummy has fetched in for me, I am now 10 years old and daddy is coming home today! Jumping out of bed to see all my presents on my bed with my mother standing there with a huge smile on her face.

Which I returned with my own bigger one as I suddenly asked "Is daddy back yet?" I said happily which her smile on her face faltered as it turned to worry she whispered "Not yet-" she put a wide smile on her face but I knew it didn't reach her eyes as she still had worry in them "but he will be he soon I promise" she said nodding sounding like she was convincing herself more then me.

Pushing the thought to the back of my mind as I looked at my presents with a giddy smile "Go on... OPEN THEM!" she shouted happily and honestly she didn't have to say it again as I ripped the papers of in less the a second.

***

"Happy birthday sweetie pie"  my grandma said as she smothered me in plenty of sloppy kisses which I groaned in disgust scrunching my nose up as she said "Don't be such a prude! I am your grandma your not too old for kissed just yet" with that I smiled and hugged her before walking to the window checking if my farther was back yet.

He wasn't.

Sighing I walked over to my best friend Eden and began to talk to him about motorbikes (yes I know what your all thinking: A 10 year old girl talking about motorbikes) but honestly I love bikes, I got it off my dad which my mother didn't like much but she didn't show any moaning she was happy I was just like my daddy.

"I love this bike" he said pointing to a 1930 500 square-four making me scrunch my nose up in disgust (don't get me wrong if any of you readers like this bike then is cool. Just not my type)  he looked at me letting out a huge sigh "Its horrible" I said in disgust making him look at me like I'm crazy "ITS A GOOD BIKE!" he defended making me giggle and shake my head "No its not!" I stated.

"YES IT IS! he protested as I pointed to a KTM RC390 "that's the best" I said with a big grin on my face as I stared dreamily at the black bike on the page in-front of me but my thoughts was cut off by the doorbell ringing.

Me and my mommy jumped up as I shouted "DADDY'S HERE" then I ran to the door pushing it open as I only saw two bed in black suits. I was confused as I looked at my mother behind me which her face was fear, stress and worry making my furrow my eyebrows confused.

I turned to the two men at the door saying "Where is my daddy?" I questioned as I saw a flash of guilt, pain and stress pass through the two guys faces before they turned to my mother "Can I speak with your privately" my mother nodded but I interrupted by shouting.

"NO. NO YOU CANT SAY IT HERE NOW!!!" shocking my mother into silence but the two men didn't look affected as they put a cold, distant look my my face making me flinch at the sudden change...

"Your dad Mr Clerks was under a lot of stress in the war, and he never noticed the bomb coming his way" the strange man in front of me continued "He was the best we had. He was our hero, he was a great friend of mine. I'm sorry for your loss" he said to my mother as she sobbed.

I felt tears prickle my eyes as I thought: My daddy is dead.

My daddy is dead.

OMG!!! MY DADDY IS DEAD!

I suddenly busted into tears as the men at the door shifted uncomfortably before reaching things out of a black back while saying "He made us promise before he went to fight in war that if anything happened we would give you this" the man handed me three things. Looking down I saw...

-The card I made of him and me at the beach.

-A birthday present.

-A birthday card.

Crying a little harder I opened up the birthday card and began to read:

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY PRINCESS.

I am so sorry that I couldn't make it to your birthday, I was writing this card in-case I never made it to your birthdays ever again...

If you got this card I am so sorry princess, but I don't want you to cry OKAY!

I want you to live you life as happy as any other girl should be.

Love you always, Daddy."

Tears fell out of my eyes as I remembered he broke his promise. He said he would be here for Christmas and my birthdays.

After that day I never made a promise I knew I couldn't keep.