Chapter 25

Brooke can't stop smiling and laughing as she turns up the radio in Gary's pickup.

"I can't believe you agreed to this let alone came up with the idea!"

She laughs and shrugs. "I told you there is a lot you don't know about me yet. Besides I'm not such a good child that I don't know how to have a little fun. I just keep it in a reasonable range of crazy."

He throws his head back and laughs heartily. "You know what? I like this crazy side of you!"

Looking in the back seat she asks, "Do you have any blankets in here?"

Again he laughs. "Do I look like someone who has blankets running around in his back seat?"

"Good point." She shrugs and rolls her window down. The air is still plenty warm, but it has cooled off since the sun is on its way down.

He rolls his down as well and drapes his arm around her shoulders. "You know what though? I think I do have a jacket or two back there somewhere."

"Is that one of those hard core Texas cowboy things that you always have a jacket with you even in the dead of summer?"

Pulling her a little closer to his side he nods. "I guess you could say that. I like to think of it that I am prepared for anything that way." He grins and winks at her.

"Are you sure you are prepared for me?"

A grin rolls across his lips and he glances down at her. "Sweetheart, God gave you to me because He knows you are more than I can handle, but He wants to teach me to be the man you need."

In just a few minutes he pulls off the caliche road and cuts the engine. He reaches in the back seat and pulls out two of his jackets and grins at her. After opening his door he extends his hand to her and watches as she slides out of the cab. Throwing the coats in the bed of the pickup he reaches back in the cab and cranks up the radio. To Brooke's surprise he slips his arm around her back the other one under her knees and lifts her into the bed.

"What's the matter Sweetheart? You not expecting that?"

Gazing at him with the sun going down behind him she feels her heart move to her throat and her hands become a little sweaty. He hasn't talked any different; act any different; or even taken her anywhere totally bazar, yet she feels different. Not uncomfortable or a bad kind of different. In fact it is a happy nervous different.

As she feels him take her hand she only nods as her reply. The start of a new song has her moving towards him and laying her head on his chest. His other hand moves to her him and hers to his shoulder as they begins to sway with the beat of Boots on a Dance Floor by Jon Wolfe.

"You know, I kind of like how this was an unplanned date."

She smiles against his chest. "It's a date, huh?"

Craning his neck so he can barely see her eyes he raises his eyebrows. "Well, that's what I call it, don't you?"

"Yes, Mighty Mouse, I call it a date."

He stops dancing and pulls back to look her in the eyes with raised eyebrows. "Mighty Mouse? Really? That's the best you would come up with?"

Playfully she shrugs. "I don't know, I just thought of it and it kind of fits you."

"No, no, no," he says shaking his head. "No, Mighty Mouse fits Little Lynn, not me. Do I really looks like a Mighty Mouse to you?"

"Okay, when you put it like that it makes a little more sense. But, Honey just doesn't fit you."