The Dancer

Requested by 

Nothing was fulfilling anymore. Despite all of Mexico knowing his name when he was alive, many concerts, adoring fans, his adorable chihuahuas, and the delicious food He had been able to eat everyday, he felt empty.

Even in the land of the dead which is where he now resided after being crushed by some stupid bell during a spectacular performance, he was empty. Sure, the Alabrejes and colourful Day of the dead decor almost everywhere certainly made being dead interesting, he felt as if something were missing. When he was alive, he'd looked everywhere for a soulmate. A beautiful woman with fiery eyes and smooth caramel skin, silky dark hair and thin legs. He sighed a little. He knew he was picky about which women he liked, however he didn't realise it would be one of the things he wanted most. 

Ernesto had thought simply that after his name was known across the world, beautiful women would flock to him. They would be his for the taking, and they would love him endlessly. But no. The female fans that he did have were in fact not ideal. As he preformed in the Land of the Dead, even the skeletons that had been his fans in living still flocked to him. As the large party he was hosting in his mansion this night would prove. His friends from life were all there with him, laughing joyously and sharing stories of when they had been alive. 

Ernesto of course, was the centre of attention. It was his party after all. Even if he didn't exactly have a good reason for throwing it. He supposed he had just been tired of pacing his home and his msuical routines. Parties were a nice change. Only the finest margaritas and finger food were served. Celebrities often arrived simply to gawk at him or his home. That was always fun. To see others as rich and powerful as himself murmur amongst themselves that they had no idea Ernesto De La Cruz had a home this big. 

Or "Oh, your Alabrejes are so cute Mr. Ernesto!", was another phrase he heard often. 

He sighed a little as he sipped at his drink. Everybody he had invited to come was here, even a few extra guests that included mainly news reporters and whichever contestant to the talent show had won. 

Those were always an odd group of people. He remembered last year an elderly skeleton with skeletal singing dogs had arrived. He remembered as almost all of his guests attention had turned away from him for once in order to ogle at the odd sight before them. 

Ernesto wondered who the winning contestant would be this year. They should've been here already, unless of course they were having difficulties with the tight security Ernesto insisted upon having.

As if on cue, the beautiful announcer skeleton he had hired began to speak into her microphone. "Ladies and gentleman! The winning contestant to this years talent show has now arrived! Please Welcome Héctor Rivera and enjoy the wonderful music that will be provided for you all shorty!", she exlaimed before disappearing from the stage. Clapping and whistling could be heard from the group of his guests that were gathered around the stage in order to watch whoever the lucky contestant was.

Ernesto was definitely curious too. Walking down a grand staircase, he made his way through the crowd of people to the stage.

About five minutes later, the constant emerged. A tall skeleton with dark hair, a straw hat, tattered clothing, and yellowing, poorly fixed broken bones. Really? This was the winning contestant, Héctor Rivera? He wanted his performers to at least dress nicely, and not like they lived in a cardboard box. Oh well. He decided it was the performance that would decide how he felt about the young man.

The preformer looked into the crowd nervously before taking a deep breath and shaking himself a little. He tossed his hat to the side of the stage and assumed a dramatic pose. Not a moment later a fast paced flamenco riff sounded throughout the stage and audience.

Then, the performer began to sing. His voice was heavenly, like water flowing calmly but strongly over stones in a river, or like a pot of honey. Ernesto swallowed and moved closer to the stage. 

The once nervous posture of Héctor was now gone. His expression that was only minutes ago was replaced with a confident expression. His eyes were half lidded and his lips curled into the smallest of smirks, he began to dance. Ernesto couldn't help but stare. It seemed as if Héctor were flowing like the finest silk ever to exist. He looked like he was glowing.

Even as the crowed began to applaud after he'd finished dancing, the performer snapped his head to look at them from where it had been hidden in a dramatic flourish. Then, Héctor preformed a few final and beautiful dancing moves and finished the song he'd been singing before taking a grand bow. The dancer and singers chest was heaving, showing off just how much effort he'd put into being a good performer for Ernesto De La Cruz's party, and for the famous singer himself. The stage lights shown on him as the once small crowd cheered wildly. In his performance, Héctor had not noticed that much more than half of all the people attending Ernesto's party had meandered over to watch him sing and dance. 

He was soon ushered off of the stage after being given once especially loud round of applause. 

Ernesto couldn't move. He couldn't do anything other than clap and cheer at the top of his non existent lungs. The performance was amazing. It was spectacular and elegant, but also bold and daring. There were subtle hints inth dance routine that would make one assume the song told a story, or perhaps an idea the writer of the music had.

The performance was beautiful. Ernesto was quite literally intranced. He had to find Héctor Rivera. He had too. There was absolutely no choice. That scruffy skeleton had given Ernesto the most beautiful performance he'd seen in his entire life. Was he the one? Ernesto would find out, as soon as he wiped the drool from his Mouth to sprint behind the stage and find that Preformer.