Jacques' Point of View

I had been driving in my taxi for hours, the bright lights of the city all around me. Lemony was always so much more lucky than me, with girls constantly by his side. He was, though, much sweeter than me, and much more empathetic. I missed him more than I missed the days when VFD was all together, and far more safe. With only Kit, I struggled to stay positive, but my loyal friends kept me in track. Lucky Lemony had the beautiful Beatrice. That was until she was rolled into her grave far too soon. Her death killed Lemony far more than her, mentally anyway. He cried openly nearly every day she was gone- until he was gone too.

Driving along, I noticed all of the bars with the best root-beer floats. Had Lemony been here, we would have stopped at all of them, but Lemony wasn't here. He would never be here again. Thinking about Lemony made me feel somewhat regretful and unhappy. I had to pull over for someone trying to get in. It was always hard avoiding people, so I had to pretend that he was one of many.

"Hello sir. Are there any Very Fancy Destinations you want to go to?" It was my starting line, perfect for any new volunteers I didn't know about to make themselves... known.

"Just the mall please, thank you."

"Okay." We drove in silence the entire way. No one seemed to know what to say to one another. We reached the mall, where he paid me a dime.

I drove off, continuing to feel depressed. 'The world is quiet here.' A saying which is meant for nearly any thing but consoling myself. Pull yourself together, Snicket. Today was not any different to Yesterday, or probably tomorrow. Little did I know that I was wrong.

I drove around in circles before my phone rang. I instantly pulled to the kurb and picked up.

"Hello?" I asked. Jacqueline spoke to me in a string of code which more or less translated to :'You need to pick someone up now, she may help with the Quagmires and/or Baudilaires.'

"Where can I find her, and what does she look like?" I questioned. Jacqueline gave me all of the relevant information again. I said thanks and put down the phone.

Driving off, I made sure that I was at exactly thirty miles per hour, and followed my gut instinct to where she would be. Reaching Mulctuary Money Managment, I skidded to an emergency stop right where a tall woman was standing. She was the person, and she looked beautiful.

"YOU ALMOST HIT ME!" She yelled.

"A thousand pardons, ma'am." I told her, as politely as I could. Now was finally my chance to pick up a girl! "I didn't intend to scare you, and I will never forgive myself."
She looked somewhat surprised at my apology, so I sat and waited for a few moments.

"Never?" She asked carefully.

"Well, not for a long time." I responded truthfully. Just like with Lemony, I will not forgive myself for a very, very long time.

She stared straight into my eyes. Beautiful and Brilliant.

Authors Note

What was I meant to write for Jacques? He doesn't appear until later than Olivia, and is given much less personality than her up until this point:/ But I did it!

one year later authors not
this is bad