Chapter 11: Nightmare

May felt her heartbeat steady down, coming familiar with Demetr's touch on her arm, why was she evening feeling that way?Anyway she felt grateful of his presence, he gave her reassurance, but there was something else also, something that she had never felt before, an irresistible force that pulled her to him. May screamed internally with desperation. He is a monster, he kills people... he can kill me too. Since she had seen him for the first time  she couldn't think clearly and he was that mist that fogged her thoughts. Meanwhile he was here she wouldn't be able to think about ways of escaping. She had to get away from him, the faster the better.

Harshly May pulled herself of his grasp.

        "Don't touch me, devil" she snapped.

         "We are not devils May" he answered calmly, May  regretted  what she said, he had helped her when others had not, somehow he made all her worries wash away and suddenly being trapped with vampires didn't feel so bad afterall. Her heart ached  with longing, he had to be different, he had to, he wasn´t like the rest or was he?

        "Where are we going" she asked quietly, a sharp voice from behind her answered

        "Aro wants to... welcome you" Aro? May thought, who was he? Welcome her?

Demetri interrupted her thoughts

        "You met him yesterday" She then remembered the vampire with long black hair, he was their leader, he had control and so he had power.

Demetri opened two wooden doors and they walked inside what seemed to be a  library. Huge tall bookshelves were symmetrically lined up, a huge chandelier hung in the middle of the room. There was a long wooden table in the middle and a long window lit it dimly. The books emanated knowledge, knowledge was power and their presence suggested a feeling of royalty and wisdom.

Alec closed the doors behind him and stood between the shadows of the bookshelves meanwhile the small girl walked next to Demetri a pang of jealousy hit him. Demetri had what he would never have and he couldn't live knowing that. He had failed meanwhile Demetri had succeeded. He had failed to keep his mate alive, he had killed her and he would never be able to change the past.

        ***

May watched the vampire that sat on the table, it was the same she had met yesterday. When they were close to him, he lifted his head and closed his book with a gentle thud and immediately placed his hand on hers. May gasped in fright as she felt his cold hand touch hers, they were very fast.

        “It is true” he whispered and looked at Demetri

         “La tua cantante”. May cleared her throat, she came here for one reason and had nothing to do with what he had just said.“Why did you kill them” she stated narrowing her gaze at him.

        “Your parents committed a crime, and they were punished” he said.

May remembered what sister Julia had once said about her parents “they must be wonderful people, because you are”. No!
        “They did nothing” she snapped back, they were good, like her, right?

        “But.. they did” Aro said “,three years ago she gave birth to two children while she was still human, one child was dying and she changed the child into a  vampire… an immortal child, a child that could destroy a whole town, revealing our existence,of course... it had to be destroyed, with its creators and that's what we did… But we never knew that she had given birth to another child, until now" he turned to the vampires that were behind her and then looked at May again ",...you”

May knew he was telling the truth and she couldn't deny it. No family,no friends, no nothing, she had been left alone. A small light shone in her heart, but at least her parents had not abandoned her because they didn´t love her.

        “What do you want from me” May demanded

        “Join us and we won't kill you, we would suffer large lose if you didn't consider staying with us”

        May scoffed "I'd rather go to hell"

Demetri tensed behind her and his eyes lit up awake watching Aro's response. Aro smiled at him. Demetri knew what he would do if he killed her. He would have to go through him first and Aro didn´t excpect him to survive.  

        "I insist " he continued

        "Join you?!" she felt her voice tremble with fury " you have taken my life away from me, my family, my home, you have taken everything I ever loved away  and you're asking me to join you!!" May stepped forward and two arms restrained her from putting her hands on Aro´s neck, Demetri. Aro watched her as an eagle that holded a tortured bird that begged for release.

        "You do not know yet" Aro said 

        "Know what"May hissed.

        "You'll find the reason to join us... here, with us. Either way, you stay or we kill you" his eyes hardened  and he pressed his lips on a tight line

"Decide"

May felt Demetri´s grip loosen and she relaxed a bit.

         “Please stay” Demetri whispered pleadingly, but she wasn't listening anymore. She would die of old age if she stayed here or escaped. She closed her eyes, she just wanted to go home, she wanted the nightmare to be over, to run away and to finally wake up in that place Julia called heaven. A silent tear fell from the edge of her closed eyelids.

She opened her mouth about to say the words that would seal her death sentence when she felt a cold smooth hand entwine with her´s. It didn't make the darkness go away. The bad things were still out there and when she opened her eyes the nightmare was still there. She didn't feel safe, but better
        “It´s allright” Demetri whispered, “I'm here...I'll never leave you”
                        ...and for just a moment her nightmare didn't feel so bad. His eyes pleaded with a longing, passion and love as bright as the sun´s rays. An angel, and the world slowly began to fall apart around her.

        “I'll stay” she said in a small quiet voice.

...“Love is the greatest of dreams, yet the worst of nightmares.”