SA 40 - Christmas Ball: Start

{Author}

" Misaki-chan, how can you fall asleep here?" Narumi laughed good-naturedly as he noticed Misaki napping outside. He took a seat beside her and gently brushed some loose strands of hair behind her ear.

" Misaki-chan," he called softly. The girl furrowed her brows in her sleep, prompting Narumi to wonder if Misaki found him annoying.

" Pedo," she muttered while still in her slumber, which caught Narumi off guard.

" Misa-chan, wake up," he coaxed, giving her a gentle pat. Misaki groaned and reluctantly opened her eyes, rubbing them as they adjusted to the brightness.

" What...?" she yawned. Narumi laughed again. " They're handing out the cakes; you'd better grab a delicious one to ensure a lucky year," he advised.

Misaki jumped a little, realizing her teacher was beside her. " I fell asleep? We should get back inside, sensei!" she exclaimed.

They both stood up and returned to the warmth of the event. " It's a good thing you didn't freeze out here," Narumi noted with a smile.

Back inside, Misaki wasted no time and headed straight for the cake table, where she was fortunate enough to find a delectable slice. Another legend associated with the school stated that those who received the delicious part of the cake would have good luck in the coming year, whereas those who received the unpleasant part would have bad luck.

" I wonder where Hotaru is," she mumbled as she enjoyed her cake while scanning the room.

" Misa-chan!" a voice called out to her. She turned to see a familiar face, Hayate. She smiled and waved to him.

" Hayate-senpai!" she beamed. Hayate strolled over to her, also holding a piece of cake.

" Are you alone?" he inquired. Misaki blinked before nodding. " I guess? I'm looking for my friends, senpai. How about you?" she replied, tilting her head.

Hayate shook his head and motioned towards the second floor. " No, no. The dangerous ability students are up there with me," he answered.

Misaki couldn't help but ask, " Then why are you here?"

Hayate pretended to be hurt, declaring dramatically, " You didn't want to see me, did you? Oh, my poor brotherly heart..." Misaki chuckled at his playfulness.

" Well then, brother-san, didn't the others get any cake?" Misaki questioned.

Hayate shook his head again. " Nah, they're all too lazy, and they didn't want to come down here. But for me, who cares? Food is food," he nodded, happily enjoying his cake.

After a brief chat, Hayate had to head back upstairs. He gave Misaki a pat on the head before departing.

Misaki began looking around the room when something caught her eye. She observed a girl riding a floating goose, handing a disgusting-looking cake to a guy before departing.

" Waaa-! I'm sorry, Hotaru! Come back," she heard Mikan cry out.

Misaki skipped her way towards Mikan, who was clinging to Hotaru and holding her cake.

" Get off," Hotaru said nonchalantly, continuing to enjoy her own piece of cake. Misaki blinked and tilted her head. " What happened here?" she asked.

" Mikan's cheek is twitching because of a kiss," Koko explained. Narumi chuckled at the statement.

" Oh dear," he laughed.

Mikan pouted. " I was going to tell you eventually, but—!" she began.

After a while of stuffing their mouths with food, Misaki and Hotaru were still gorging themselves nonstop. Mikan and the others couldn't keep up with the two's voracious appetites.

" I think I'll be in a food coma," Mikan said and burped. Koko agreed with her and slumped into a chair. Mikan decided to stand up to help digest the food more quickly.

" Attention to all students, after the choir's last song, we will begin the highlight of the event: the masquerade ball," an announcement was made.

Anna and Nonoko appeared behind Misaki, Mikan, and Hotaru.

" What masks will you three wear?" Nonoko inquired. Hotaru produced a full-face mask.

" Seriously?" Mikan groaned. Hotaru essentially had no interest in dancing and wished to evade her businessman fans who had managed to sneak into the party.

" I'll hide," Hotaru declared. Misaki nodded in agreement since she had similar intentions.

" I'll stay on the side and watch," Misaki announced with a grin. Mikan, Nonoko, and Anna gave her serious looks, unimpressed with her plan.

" No!" they all protested in unison. Misaki sweat dropped and scratched her head.

Nonoko and Anna chuckled, then latched onto both of Misaki's arms. " We kind of knew that, so we came prepared," Nonoko said.

Anna nodded, " We took some masks for you, Mikan and Misa-chan, go ahead and choose." She presented the extra masks they had obtained.

The options included three butterfly masks, a full-face mask, and a white lace mask. Mikan's eyes sparkled as she admired the designs.

" Wow, these are so pretty! I like the butterfly mask!" she declared. Anna handed her the butterfly mask, and Nonoko and Anna chose the same style.

Misaki sighed and selected the full-face mask. " I'll choose this," she announced.

Nonoko didn't seem pleased. " No, no. You should wear this one instead." She handed Misaki the lace mask and reclaimed the other.

Misaki pouted. " Why did you even ask me in the first place?" she muttered.

" So we could have the chance to give it to you," Anna laughed. Mikan gave the two girls a high five. Hotaru observed with her own mask in place.

Misaki studied the mask in her hand, as the other three wore their chosen masks. The choir's song was nearing its end, and they were yet to secure any dance partners.

" What now?" Mikan questioned.