Chapter 1

BOOM...!

Jack Wolverton jerked his head up and looked out the window. Explosions were not unusual in this part of Biloxi but he had never heard such a sound before. It went on and on, an unsettling, rushing noise that absorbed all sounds in the city. None of the few birds between the firms' buildings were audible, neither were the cars in the streets.

The few people around him stopped working, listened. All of them knew what was happening, it had been in the news for days.

Still, it was completely different to hear and feel it actually happen now.

The huge, gray wall of the hurricane moved closer with alarming speed. Within hours, it would arrive at the shore, starting its deadly attack on the city. Jackie could already make out its hungry front, soaking up everything - and everyone - in reach, growing bigger and bigger although it was already taller than anything he had ever seen in his life.

The boy suddenly noticed he had been holding his breath at the enormous sight and exhaled slowly. Pulling himself together, he tried to think reasonably.

If he stayed in this building, only death would wait for him, that much he knew. Experts had said that the best place to be during a tornado was the cellar. But where the hell should he find one?