Chapter 5

He woke some time later with a strong throbbing in his temples.

Slowly waking from what must have been a faint, his memory came back. He was alone in one of the casino ships from the harbor. Jack Wolverton looked further around and his eyes found quickly what they had been searching: His foster-father. The boy had no doubt by now that he was dead, still, he did not want to realize it yet. Jackie crawled over to the body and looked down at it.

Kalvin had gone grey around the temples these last few years. His face showed a lot of wrinkles and he could have been rather the boy's grandpa than his father. This, he had been to him for ten years, though. He had comforted him if he was sad and told him off all the times he had done any foolish mistakes. And the only person he could always speak to, the man had been, too.

Jackie lowered himself over the cold corpse and wept for his lost friend.

Hours, it seemed, later, he got slowly to his feet again. Another look out of the window told him that the hurricane was now only half a mile away from the coast.

Running away was not possible. Jackie did not want to, either. The only person he loved was the one that lay now on the floor behind him. He had no friends at school, therefore he did not miss anyone else. There was also no-one of his classmates who would miss him, come to that.

His brain slowly began to realize what he had unconsciously known for a long time by now.

The only choice left to him was stay. To stay and greet death with open arms.

At least he would see Kalvin Melroy, his parents and all the other unknown relatives again that he once had had.

So perhaps it was even a good thing to die now. It can't be worse than to live without any connections or property, he thought.

Jack Wolverton took a deep breath, seated himself comfortably in one of the casino's chairs and listened to the loud noises of hurricane Katrina.

"Let the storm come, then" he said.

He was ready to die.

-----------------------------------

The End...

Hope you enjoyed the story! ^^

As I'm not a native speaker, I apologize for any language mistakes - it just makes such fun to write in English! Please tell me what you think about Jackie and everything else. Did you expect his decision? What would you have done?

I'm waiting for your opinion, so vote and comment as much as you want to! Constructive criticism very welcome!