Chapter 20

Chapter 20:

Tell Hilary good luck for me!
-Amarys

Will do!

I could not believe that it was already Friday, the day of the play.

Although I wasn't really onstage much, just a flower, I was still really nervous. Nervous for Hilary, that is.

Summer had been playing it cool the past two days. Smiling. Being best friends again with Hilary. Acting as if nothing had happened.

I stood uncomfortably backstage trying to waddle around in the big flower stem. Whoever had used this before me must've been at least 6 ft. tall.

Summer sat at a vanity touching up her red heart lipstick, smirking to herself. It seemed suspicious. Very suspicious.

I was about to simply ignore it, when Summer waltzed past me.

"Good luck Bree!" she sang out, sweetly.

Okay, somebody call the police. Her fake cover-up was so sweet, she probably could've murdered someone.

I saw her hand a big bouquet to Mrs. Collins.

"I just want to apologize for how I acted earlier. I really do appreciate this role!"

She wrapped her arms around Mrs. Collins and in return she got a huge approving grin of affection.

I was sure now. Summer did something bad. Really bad.

Unfortunately for me, however, before I could process anything, Mrs. Collins was on the stage introducing our play.

"And now without further ado," she finished, "Alice and Wonderland!"

The curtains rose and Kennedy, playing Alice's older sister, sat perched in a tree holding a book, the sky blue painting behind her.

"Alice!" she called in her British accent, "Where are you?"

I watched, waiting for Hilary to run on frantically, like the script said, but I was kept waiting.

Mrs. Collin's face fell.

She hissed to the other side of the stage. "Where is Hilary?"

They shrugged. "I haven't seen her since she first got dressed," one kid said.

Meanwhile onstage, Kennedy stood awkwardly waiting. "Where is Alice?"

Apparently not being able to take it a second longer, Kennedy ran to the wings, angrily stomping towards Mrs. Collins. "I'm dying out there!"

Frantically, Mrs. Collins ran back on the stage.

"Ladies and gentlemen, we're having some technical difficulties at this time. Please enjoy some accompaniment from our orchestra."

As she ran back to the wings, she was panicked. "Bree, Trevor," she breathed heavily. "Please go search the school."

Trevor and I ran down the stairs, quickly. We looked around helplessly in the main hallway. "Where do you think she could of gone?" he asked. As if in response to his question, frantic wails rang out from the opposite hallway.

"Come on!" he motioned, as he began sprinting to the other side. I, on the other hand, hopped helplessly behind him, as I was wearing a big flower stem. Trying to keep up, I face planted on the floor. My flower petal arms really didn't help that much.

Poking his head around the corner, Trevor laughed quietly to himself.
He walked over to me and reached an arm down, helping me up. "This happens way to often," he laughed.

And before I even had time to react, he scooped me into his arms and ran with me across the hallway.

So I said the only logical thing there was, "What the heck?"

He smiled to himself. "Your slow in that flower costume and have to find Hilary."

Oh yeah, Hilary.

We heard more shouts right by the janitor closet.

"Heeeelllp meeee! Somebody pleeeaase!"

"Hilary!" I called.

"Bree!" she wailed.

I hopped down and yanked on the handle. "It's locked!"

"We have to get a key!" I said instantly.

"No," Trevor said, "I have to get the key. You can't walk."

I looked down at my huge costume. "Your right," I sighed. "Go get it."

"Now the question is, he sighed. Where do I start looking."

"Well," I began, "Whoever locked her in, has the key." Summer was my obvious vote. "Do you remember who locked you in?" I asked.

"I couldn't see their faces, it was dark, but it was definitely two guys." she said through muffled cries.

I still thought Summer had to be behind it somehow.

"Well," Trevor sighed, "I guess I'll start wondering around for suspicious guys then."

"Or you could just go ask Mrs. Collins for the master key?"

"Maybe I'll start there."

"Okay, I'll stay here with Hilary."

Once he left, Hilary began to cry again. "The play is all ruined! Amarys should've been Alice. Nnnot meee!"

"It's not your fault Hilary," I said awkwardly. Not the best at being sentimental.

Just then, the evil queen herself came strutting down the halls.

"Bree!" she screeched. "What is taking so long? It's already been 30 minutes! I have no choice but to go be Alice myself!"

"And why would you be Alice?" I chuckled, amused with her dramatic gestures.

"I have an understudy, Alice doesn't. I know the role of Alice, nobody else does."

I shook my head at her reasoning. "Well sorry to burst your bubble, but Hilary's right here."

"Well sorry to burst your bubble, but it seems as if she's locked in."

"Trevor's getting the master key," I smirked.

"Oh, you mean the master keys that just happen to be getting all new labels this weekend and aren't here? That master key?" She giggled violently.

I could not believe her. "I knew you were behind this."

"Maybe I am, maybe I'm not. I don't really care. All that matters is that you can't prove it."

And with that she ran back up the stairs, on her way calling, "I have a show to do."