Chapter 26

Chapter 26:

"Are you okay?" he stuttered hesitantly as I closed the back door.

"No. No actually I'm not," I said holding the cigarette with the tips of my fingers.

A look of shock flashed across his face.

"How did you..." he began.

"Fires don't start by themselves, Ethan."

He looked at his shoes and I could see the tip of his ears becoming pink.

"You could have burned the entire house down!" I screamed. "And why? Because you decided to start smoking?"

"Aunt Jen lets me do it," he grumbled quietly.

I don't even have a response anymore. I slump against the wall, sliding until I'm resting on the ground.

I don't get it. Before he left, of course our life had bumps in it, most do, but he had people who loved him. Me and my mom.

She gave us everything she could and he returned the favor by stabbing her in the back and leaving for Jen's the second the could.

I look up at him through tired eyes. He meets my gaze slowly. I should say something to him, I really should, but I can't manage to make any words come out.

"Well I hope your happy with yourself," I say flatly, getting up to head to my room.

My reminder screen is flashing and I remember Trevor. I don't even know if I should go anymore.

The clock reads 6:20 and I know I need to decide fast.

After a quick shower to rid the smoke smell, I decide to call Claire for advice.

"So he invited you..." she continues, "You originally said yes....And now you might turn him down?"

"Well I'm just feeling kind of overwhelmed right now," I explain.

"Bree. You're going. I just texted him," she exclaims proudly.

"You what? What'd you say?!" I shriek.

She hangs up.

I chuck my phone at the wall in frustration, but then pick it back up quickly and feel like I should apologize or something.

He said pizza so I don't know how I should dress. Obviously not fancy, but maybe my t-shirt isn't the best choice.

I keep on my jeans but end up wearing a mint green top. I guess it could pass as casual/semi formal?

I've just finished blow drying my hair when he knocks on the door.

I sigh at my plugged in straightener.

Well, looks like my hairs going to be natural tonight.

My phone lights up with a text from Trevor, saying he's here.

Sorry! I'll be out in a sec. I reply.

I quickly grab my purse and start running down the hall, but then remember perfume, so I dart back in.

After a few spritzes of Midnight Pomegranate I sprint off again. This time I almost make it out the door but then remember Ethan.

Went out with a friend.

Don't burn down the house.

-Bree

I tape the note to the fridge and an finally out the door.

He's waiting for me in his car, and might I just casually point out, looking great.

Hopping in the car, I try not to make it obvious that I'm staring at his outfit. His gray shirt is rolled at the elbows and goes great with his dark jeans.

"Hey Bree!" he says. I can see his wide smile as he checks the mirror to back out.

"Hey!" I say cheerfully. I hope my voice didn't sound to squeaky.

"You look great," he said calmly.

I raise my eyebrows in confusion, since I sort of felt the opposite.

"Thanks," I blush.

"Ready for some pizza?"

Before he brought it up I didn't realize how unbelievably hungry I had gotten. Putting out a fire had really made me work up an appetite.

"Definitely!" I said, picturing the taste of melted cheese in my mouth.

Of course pulling up to the restaurant should feel the same as every time I go, since it's probably the best pizza in town, but of course it doesn't.

Because instead of going in just to fill an extra hungry appetite, I'm going in to socialize.

And instead of wearing a t-shirt and shorts after some old soccer game, I'm dressed decent.

And instead of going in with Ethan, or Claire, or my mom, or cousins, or anyone else, I'm with Trevor.

I'm not a very cliché girl, but sitting down in a quiet part of the room, table set for two, I think back to every fantasy I'd had as a little girl, and know this is perfect.

Throughout the night I keep my usual, sarcastic, personality, as does he, but there's just something different inside of me.

Just glancing at him in front of me I can just feel my heart pounding. The way his hairs gelled just enough, the way his one cheek dimples when he smiles, his blue eyes looking straight into mine with so much innocence, and his laugh. Oh, his laugh.

Then of course after thinking all of these things I know it's true.

I'm becoming a real teenage girl.

And it isn't so bad.

=========================

We've just pulled up to my porch and I realize how much I want to just freeze time.

"Thanks for coming," he says, almost relieved.

It's so funny to me the thought that he thinks I'm doing him the favor.

"We should go out again sometime," I say wholeheartedly.

"So we went out tonight, huh?" he says smiling.

I'm sort of mad at myself for just saying that without thinking, but then I realize, we went out tonight. On a date. Me. With Trevor. And I just want to feel this happy all the time.

"We did," I say softly, smiling.

We get out of the car at the same time, slowly, and our bodies are so close that our hands brush.

It reminds me of when I was younger and anytime my hand brushed another's, I'd tease them and say, 'stop trying to hold my hand.'

Well now the phrase I think I'm looking for is, 'please hold my hand.'

And he did.

So there I am on my porch, my hands interlocked with his, and I know I want something more, but I can see my mom's car pulling into out street.

So instead I get a hug goodnight.