The Family...

***** Hey guys, this is unedited.  I apologize ahead of time. I wanted to get this out tonight since I will be busy the next few days. I wrote more than normal I was on a roll tonight. There is a lot of dialogue in this chapter. I hope you enjoy!  Comment or Vote if you like! :) ***

The walk from the cabin had been a nice one. There were moments of silence and moments of interesting conversation. It was nice to have some adult conversation every once in a while. Sometimes, I've wondered what it would be like to have a life partner. Someone who I could talk to every night before I went to bed, someone who could be my partner in crime. I wondered if Rainey and I could ever have that. It just seems that too much had changed. 

When we reached the cabin door, we both stopped for a moment. Partly preparing myself for what was going to happen the moment I opened the door.

The silence was interupted by Maddy speaking, well rather almost stuttering. "Thanks for asking me to walk with you. " He put his hands in his pockets and rocked back on his heals. All I could do was nod my head. I looked down at my feet and then back up at Maddy. In that moment, I felt like an awkward sixteen year old girl. This was something I did when I wasn't sure what was needed to be said in that moment. I guess at times I can be an awkward person, but I like to think it is only occasionally.

 "You think I'm ready for this?"

" I dunno, you tell me."

I let out a sigh, " I guess as ready as I'll ever be."

When he opened the door for me, July was in full on story mode. She was going on and on about a story I'd once told her about Rainey and I swimming in the lake at midnight. She was sitting in Rainey's lap with a huge smile on her face. The next words came out of her mouth that really cut me deep. I wasn't sure why, but my heart skipped a beat.

"Mommy said that was when she knew she fell in love with daddy." 

I laid my hand across my chest and let out a sigh. This action brought attention to Maddy and I. When July spotted me, she jumped to her feet and ran to me. I loved that feeling. The moment that your child comes running to you, the moment that they fall into your arms. It felt as though I'd been away from her for way to long.

I picked up July and placed her on my hip. She was getting way to big for this, yet it never got old. I brushed the hair out of her face and kissed her nose. " Have you been a good girl, while I was gone?"

"Of course Mommy. I'm always a good girl."

I tilted my head and gave her the stare, and pursed my lips at her. " Is that so?" 

"Okay, Okay, maybe I'm not always a good girl, but I was today I promise." This created laughter from the entire room.

At this point Rainey's mom came rushing over and gave us a hug. " I am so glad you could make it. I just wanted to say for what it is worth that I'm sorry, about everything." Tears came to her eyes. I really didn't like to see people cry, so I tried to defuse the situtation.

"It is in the past, we can talk about it another time." I tried to pass on the pleasantries. I wasn't ready to get into all that, especially at that very moment.

She hugged me again and I continued speaking. " I think we've all had enough excitement for one day. Let's just enjoy dinner."

At the word dinner, she pulled away from me. " Oh right dinner, this has been one crazy night."  She ran her hands through July's hair and then headed towards the kitchen.

"Rainey set the table." She said in an abrupt manner.

Rainey's mom had a intimidating look about her. She was very petite, but she put off a vibe that said 'do as I say or else'. Don't get me wrong, when she was speaking to me and hugging me she had kind eyes, but the moment she wanted someone to do something for her, her demeanor changed and she meant business.